1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1851 census missing persons

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Lindylou, May 20, 2015.

1. Lindylou

Lindylou LostCousins Member

Is the 1851 census complete? On several occasions and for different families I have been unable to locate any of them residing in London (where I know they should have been) on the 1851 census. I have also found that a record will show up on an Ancestry search but the same person can be totally missing on Find My Past - does anyone else have these or similar problems?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Lindylou, Yes I have seen issues like this. If I find a person on one site but not the other, I then swap to using the census references from the first site and search for those on the 2nd site. I am then able to find the missing people and discover that names have usually be mistranscribed. I always then add an update suggesting the correct names so that fellow searchers won't have the same issues that I did.

But there are missing records in the census years, and these are normally identified when you go to the search for that census year. For example on Ancestry, this is what it says for the 1851 Census Year. (Scroll to the bottom of the page). However it doesn't mention London there, so the hope is they are there but mistranscribed or they were actually somewhere else on the census night.

If they lived at the same address in 1841 and 1861, then you could try locating that street/s in 1851 and review all the entries.

3. Lindylou

Lindylou LostCousins Member

Thanks Tim, but I've gone down those routes already -all the members of the family are missing - 2 households, yet these people are recorded in the 1841 and 1861 census' a 1855 marriage and the 1856 electoral roll resident at London (Marylebone) addresses. I have a feeling that for some reason they avoided being included. In 1861 onwards they had premises in North Street (off Manchester Square) but I cannot locate North Street in 1851 - any other ideas? Thanks

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have folk I cannot locate in the St Pancras area of Middlesex in 1851, and have searched by forename & surname, using wildcards & numerous possible variants, with and without ages and birthplaces etc etc, and also checked out known addresses and surrounding areas.

The lists of missing and damaged records at both Ancestry and FMP seem to cover only relatively significantly sized omissions - that is, they don't list the odd mislaid page, or the occasional dwellings that got overlooked, and so on. Also, some damaged records are held by TNA but were not filmed, so are not transcribed on genealogy websites, but don't show up in their known to be missing lists either.

Having said that, I've checked at the TNA website and found no mention of any missing or damaged 1851 census records in the St Pancras area where my folk were likely to have been.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If you find Manchester Square or another nearby street you can look at the description of the enumeration district (you'll probably need a contemprary street map). Once you know which enumeration district your relatives should have been recorded in you can work your way through it household by household.

Note: the boundaries of the enumeration districts could well have been the same in 1841 and 1861.

6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Looking up an 1851 map you can see North Street is linked to South Street and Paradise Street. On a modern map this is now called Aybrook Street.

Looking up the National Archives street index for Marylebone you find : North Street Paradise Street HO 107/1488 104-126

So North Street that runs off Paradise Street is in the 1851 census piece 1488 folios 104-126. All the images are there on FindMyPast starting at the first page here and on Ancestry with the first page here.