1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1841 Householders' Schedules

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Donald, May 12, 2013.

1. Donald

Donald Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

The first census enumerator's books (CEBs) on which we all depend for researching our family and local histories were discovered by chance in a roof at Westminster in the early twentieth-century and made available to researchers in 1912 following successful lobbying by the Society of Genealogists. The householders' schedules (HSs) from which these CEBs were created have been said to have been destroyed. Recently I discovered the HSs for all thirteen enumeration districts comprising one registration district. These records shed light on what enumerators did in the process of transcription and answer key questions about the enumeration process itself. It was a remarkable risk taken by the first Registrar General to issue HSs at a time when the citizens were only halfway on the road to literacy. It is fascinating to see how they went about filling up thier forms. Most importantly these first HSs permit us to approach the CEBs with a better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses. For those who are interested in how the CEBs we use came to be the way they are, there is an extensive article about the 1841 HSs appearing this month in The Local Historian, the quarterly Journal of the British Association for Local History.

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. Cathy

Cathy Moderator Staff Member

How interesting. I'd love to read it but it doesn't appear to be a journal in the Western Australian State Library. Is it going to be worth 5 GBP to buy a copy of the issue? That's a lot of money for an article.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Donald, you've convinced me to join the BALH (hope you get a commission!).

Where did you discover the Household Schedules, and where are they now? Is there any possibility that they'll be published?

Great to hear that the first Registrar General was prepared to take risks in order to deliver a better result - what shame the present RG chooses not to follow his example.

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Very useful thanks. I've updated your post with a link to the organisation.