1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Is it really that long ago?

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by MaureenR, Nov 13, 2019.

1. MaureenR

MaureenR LostCousins Member

I watched a BBC TV series in 1980 called "Discovering your Family History". I was at home with a baby. The series followed Gordon Honeycombe's ancestry. I bought the accompanying book by Don Steel and was hooked!
    First thing I did was get all the information I could from my parents, aunts, grandfather & in-laws.
    Then I managed to make occasional day trips to London to search records.
    I'm still working on my tree after nearly 40 years.
    Maureen
    now in Canada

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Did you see my interview with Gordon Honeycombe in 2013? You'll find it here.

3. MaureenR

MaureenR LostCousins Member

Thanks Peter. It was nice to read it again.
    It may have been 1979 that I saw the TV series. I think it was new at the time.