1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Going round in a circle

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Joyce, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Joyce

Joyce LostCousins Member

My interest in genealogy stems from stories told by my mother, who born in 1912 in Tyneside, about her life as the eldest of 8 children. It was not so much ‘Once Upon A Time’ as ‘Once Upon Another Time’ and it fascinated me as a child and still does so today.

My father’s life however was a closed book as he never discussed his childhood or family. It wasn’t until he died aged only 57yrs that I realised how little I knew about him. My mother knew his immediate family and little else. As my parents had moved south to the Midlands, I had only met my paternal grandfather once and my grandmother had died before I was born.

However life intervened and it wasn’t until my younger daughter went to University in the North East that I realised her accommodation was located in the parish where my father was born. With little idea how to approach the task, together we began to explore my father’s family history in a world of fiche and film readers, parish registers and archives.

His paternal family proved to be quite unremarkable moving around the Durham coalfields without any change in family fortunes.

However his mother’s ‘Norwood’ family came as a surprise as her family were Yorkshire born & bred. This research brought me straight back almost to my own doorstep in the Yorkshire market town where my family were then living! I had come full circle!

I discovered that my great grand father, Alfred Barker Norwood born 1850, was illegitimate. His birth wasn’t registered though he was baptised at a later date.. Neither of his Christian names have appeared anywhere in the extended family tree before that birth so my guess is that he was named him after his father. For 30 years I have tried to prize Alfred Barker snr. out of hiding and have recently tested my DNA hoping to obtain some clues to his existence. I have been unsuccessful to date. Perhaps one of you may be my long lost distant cousin?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Quite possible, but the place to look for the answer is in your DNA matches. Assuming you tested with Ancestry you'll have tens of thousands of matches, and about one-sixteenth of them (upwards of a thousand matches) will be connected to you through each of your great-great-grandparents.

What you need to do is identify which of your matches are connected to you through Alfred Barker Norwood, and separate out those who are related on his mother's side.

The more of your documented cousins who have tested, the easier it will be - so the first step is to add as many relatives from 1881 as you can, in order to find more documented cousins. About half of active LostCousins members have already tested, so finding 'lost cousins' can be quite a money-saver!

3. Joyce

Joyce LostCousins Member

I have already tried this but there is only one match with a 9cm match across 1 segment. This relates to one Nowood Aunt listed on the tree but not researched. Someone else is managing the tree. Alfred's mother had other children but some died young or before marriage. I have posted details of her family in 1841 together with details of the extended family, Alfred's surviving siblings and his own family in 1881 and 1911. To date no matches but I will dig into my files for more names. Over the years, I have researched the Norwood family back a very long way but still have this one dead end.

4. peter

When you use DNA you need to research all of your lines, not just the ones where you have the most annoying 'brick walls'. A key part of the process of identifying which of your matches are through the line of most interest is the elimination of matches related through other lines.

Of course, in the process of doing this you'll knock down some of your other 'brick walls'. That's why the first step in my DNA Masterclass is to add as many entries as you can to your My Ancestors page - you'll not only find more 'lost cousins', you'll knock down more 'brick walls'.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I agree in theory, but in practice it isn't usually quite that simple. When it comes to my "4th cousins or closer" matches, the unknowns is still the largest group, accounting for over 50% of the matches.

6. peter

Of course, there will be some that can't be identified, and how many there are depends on how many of your documented cousins have tested, and how closely you are collaborating with them. Even the unknown matches can be rationalised - you'll find that some of them are in clusters with other matches; others won't have trees, so they can be disregarded in the first instance.

But in Joyce's case she's yet to complete the first step in my Masterclass - when she's a LostCousins Star like you she'll be in a much better position to make sense of her DNA results. As I have said repeatedly in my newsletter, DNA isn't a substitute for conventional research.

When you're 'going round in a circle' the answer is to follow the advice of someone who has been there before - the Masterclass is based on 7 years of experience working with my own DNA results. Anyone who ignores it is likely to end up wasting as much time as I did.

7. Pauline

Well again, I agree in theory but I think a fair bit of luck is needed too. Finding documented cousins is one thing but finding ones who have (a) done a DNA test, and (b) are interested in corresponding and collaborating, is another.

8. peter

Come on, Pauline don't be so negative - I'm trying to encourage Joyce to enter the rest of her relatives (because it's the only way she's going to succeed in her quest), and there you are putting a dampener on things.

It's not as if we pick cousins randomly out of the phone book - around half of LostCousins members have already taken DNA tests (and a good proportion have tested multiple members of their family). I can't seriously imagine any of them not wanting to collaborate.

But even those 'lost cousins' who haven't tested are still useful contacts - remember that DNA and conventional research work hand in hand. LostCousins has been connecting cousins for over 15 years - it's only in the last 3 years that DNA has really come to the fore.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I would be more than happy to collaborate with anyone who takes the time to reply to the messages I have sent. Some matches have contacted me and they have been very helpful with my maternal side, as well as that of my maternal grandmother, but I also have a great many "unknowns" in the 3rd-4th possible cousins range and those I have contacted have not bothered to reply.

10. peter

It sounds as if you're talking about DNA matches, rather than the documented cousins we've been discussing above.

Whether DNA matches reply is a completely different issue. Most people who don't reply don't have a tree - that's why the strategies in the Masterclass direct you to cousins who do have trees. I suspect that the reason people who don't have trees don't reply is because they don't know what to say - they have no information to guide them.

11. Joyce

Joyce LostCousins Member

I have actually identified many matches from all my DNA results and tagged/colour coded them as applicable and identified common ancestors.. There are many however with unlinked, private trees, no trees or ones with just a few entries. I have also contacted several & in turn received messages from others. Often there is no response or in one instance the correspondence tailed off when I supplied a will which trashed her Ancestry Tree.
    One notable success was identifying the relation who lived until she was 105 yrs old courtesy of a new found distant cousin. My mother had often related this story but apart from a married name, didn't know how she was related. My DNA 'cousin' had found newspaper cuttings amongst his father's papers and having been able to find our common ancestor we were able to fit this blood relation into our trees. She is also on my ancestors list in 1881 & 1911
    I have actually read through your masterclass several times Peter so thank you for all explanations & new ideas it has given me. I have also completed an online course with one of the universities. As you say though, it requires others to have done DNA tests so can only improve with time. I was about to upload my DNA results to Gedmatch but for the moment will wait for things to become clearer.
    My Alfred Barker brick wall is unlikely to fall through other Norwood matches as his mother had 5 other illegitimate children, each with a different father. All of them were named after close family members except Alfred so maybe she was expecting to get married after the event. The 'cousins' I am in contact with through conventional research and who are descended from these have the same problem but without any clue to who the father was. I guess she must have enjoyed the exercise or never figured out what caused them!! Illegitimacy was quite common in farming communities who just took the children into the family. I could find no bastardy bonds.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. peter

I'm glad you've found the Masterclass useful, but please bear in mind that until you enter the rest of your relatives from 1881 you're going to be battling against your 'brick wall' with one hand tied behind your back. It's the first step in the Master class for a reason!

13. Pauline

Sorry - it wasn't my intention to discourage anyone from entering their relatives at Lost Cousins which benefits not only ourselves, but also other LC members.

However, for a long time researcher such as Joyce, who I'm guessing has been able to build a pretty comprehensive tree along the way, there may be fewer benefits as far as sorting out DNA matches is concerned than if she was a brand new researcher.

But there are nevertheless plenty of other good reasons for all of us to enter as many relatives as possible into Lost Cousins.

14. Pauline

I had three main brick walls in my ancestry due to illegitimacy and was likewise unable to find any bastardy records relating to any of them. Two of the illegitimate ancestors are 2 x great grandmothers, and the other one was a 3 x great grandmother. Like you, the documented cousins I have found were all stuck in the same place as me.

The fathers of the two nearer ancestors are still a mystery, though I live in hope of finding the answers one day.

I was able to find the father of my 3 x great grandmother after I did my DNA test. As it happens there was a paper trail as well but one I had missed in my extensive searches 25 years ago because I was then pretty much in the dark as to exactly where to look. However, looking at my DNA matches in that area of my tree gave me a big clue as to where to look, which eventually led me to the missing father.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. peter

Well done, Pauline.

16. canadianbeth

What are bastardy bonds?

17. canadianbeth

I should have Googled before I asked. :) Obviously, there were none in the case of my grandmother.