1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer questions.

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Norman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

How is the best way to go about needing to have both a residence fact and a census fact within the same year?
    Different events, potentially different locations, certainly different sources of information.

For example - the 1881 census was taken and puts a family in one location, then later that year they baptise a child and their location has changed.
    I have one of these for 1891 and the thought occured to me "What if this was 1881 or 1911 or 1841"?

2. PK-KTK

Is there any way to mark certain census entries as not to be looked at by FTA?
    I have my husband's (small, ok tiny) tree within the same db file and thus within the same gedcom, and as such, his relatives are being used to calculate the LC / census data when they technically shouldn't be since we only enter our own relations, not those of our spouse.
    I don't want to split the tree, nor can I remember to gedcom only my own side when doing that for FTA

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

A BAPTism fact has a field for location where you enter the church and its address. So that doesn't create a RESIdence fact, and so shouldn't be an issue.

4. PK-KTK

but the church is not the residence of the family

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Why do you think there might be a problem with a family/individual being in more than a single location in any given year? I have many such circumstances without any difficulty arising. Just make sure that you give a date, or range of dates, for each location to avoid confusion.

Remember that a census refers to a single day but you may have evidence to support residence/visit for a longer period.

6. PK-KTK

Having a residence and a census in the same year gives an error in FTA - one that could get annoying to have to check every time

7. Tim

What's the error? Can you post it here?

8. PK-KTK

9. PK-KTK

And scrap this one - realised I had a box ticked that inlcuded hubby's relations, but when unticked it left them out
    upload_2015-1-3_20-17-32.png

10. Tim

I only have the other 3 ticked.

And when you list the 27 errors, have you determined the root cause? i.e. Lost Cousins fact entered but no census or residence fact, etc?

11. PK-KTK

Yes I have determined the cause for each of them and resolved all of them - and they were all Census fact and residence fact in the same year.
    I have baptisms that I know occured in the same years as census that I need to finish entering and transcribing, so I want to make sure I know how to enter any residence that differs from the census so that it doesn't throw up that error.

12. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

It's supposed to be annoying! (i.e. it's doubtful that you'll ever have a perfect tree)

13. PK-KTK

given that I'm not yet 40 and have no children, I plan on having a "perfect" tree before I drop off the planet :p:D

14. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Wow, you're a young-un;)

15. Tim

Have you tried applying the actual census date to the census fact? Does that fix it?

If you're not using Family Tree Maker then you have something else you can try.

If you goto Tools on the main menu bar, then Options then General Settings, there is an option called "Treat Residence Facts as Census Facts". Make sure this is unticked.

16. PK-KTK

Unticking that box made the number go up!
    upload_2015-1-3_20-40-52.png

not sure if using the actual census date and baptism date for the residence would work - but I'll have to check that when I get a baptism with residence that differs from the census address.

Am using an older gedcom for these test, current gedcom has those errors all resolved

17. PK-KTK

now I have 32 "bad/missing" go through again - I had thought I'd resolved them all, but apparently I'd only resolved the duplicates, not the ones where I only had Residence but no Census

18. PK-KTK

yeah - but only just over a month till I hit that 4-0

19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

You're the age I kid myself as being ...until I do something(try) that is physically challenging for a man in his seventieth year:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

How about 79th?:(:(!!