1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer questions.

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Norman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Devonian

Devonian LostCousins Member

Thanks - but that gives more than the max 10000 characters for a message, so I can't send it to you.
    Incidentally I've just tried again with the duplicates tab, having first closed all other programmes. The problem persists. The bar for checking for duplicates goes 100% green but the cursor disappears and is replaced by the small rotating blue circle. I left it for over 15 mins, but nothing happened and onec again I had to power off to close the computer.

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I am no expert when it comes to IT,but I have 'blue circle' problems and just close the tab and try again which usually works.Nothing specific to FTA in my case, but maybe too quick with the mouse sometimes?

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

You should be able to use Cntl+C to copy just selected parts of the GedCom output which would keep the file to less than 10,000 characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Devonian

Here's a sample:-
    Error parsing date 'See Note' for I31: John Williams' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : SEE NOTE
    Error parsing date '1745(6)' for I418: Patience Hill' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 17456
    Error parsing date '12 Mar 1745(6)' for I418: Patience Hill' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 12 MAR 17456
    Error parsing date 'POSS 14 AUG 1783' for I583: John Bennee' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 14 AUG 1783
    Error parsing date '1705 OR 1706' for I584: Hannah Jones' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 1705 OR 1706
    Error parsing date '4 MAR 1705 OR 4 MAR 1706' for I584: Hannah Jones' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 4 MAR 1705 OR 4 MAR 1706
    Error parsing date 'POSS 15 FEB 1807' for I809: Elizabeth Hutchinson' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 15 FEB 1807
    Error parsing date 'POSS 8 DEC 1808' for I809: Elizabeth Hutchinson' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 8 DEC 1808
    Error parsing date '2 FEB 1732 OR 2 FEB 1733' for I816: Matthew Westmorland' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 2 FEB 1732 OR 2 FEB 1733
    Error parsing date 'POSS 1848' for I923: Thomas Marsden' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 1848
    Error parsing date '15 Mar 1718(9)' for I1155: Elizabeth Pengilley' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 15 MAR 17189
    Error parsing date 'See note' for I1155: Elizabeth Pengilley' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : SEE NOTE
    Error parsing date '26 FEB 1696 OR 26 FEB 1697' for I1183: William Hines' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 26 FEB 1696 OR 26 FEB 1697
    Error parsing date '20 JAN 1704 OR 20 JAN 1705' for I1186: John Hines' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 20 JAN 1704 OR 20 JAN 1705
    Error parsing date 'poss 1835 - see note' for I1250: Joseph Samways' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 1835 - SEE NOTE
    Error parsing date 'poss 1821 - see note' for I1255: Mary Chick' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 1821 - SEE NOTE
    Error parsing date '6 JAN 1749 OR 6 JAN 1750' for I1286: Anne Hurst' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 6 JAN 1749 OR 6 JAN 1750
    Error parsing date '6 FEB 1719 OR 6 FEB 1720' for I1297: Robart Huske' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 6 FEB 1719 OR 6 FEB 1720
    Error parsing date '20 FEB 1719 OR 20 FEB 1720' for I1297: Robart Huske' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 20 FEB 1719 OR 20 FEB 1720
    Error parsing date '15 JAN 1709 OR 15 JAN 1710' for I1300: Judath Shipard' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 15 JAN 1709 OR 15 JAN 1710
    Error parsing date '9 FEB 1733 OR 9 FEB 1734' for I1301: John Husk' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 9 FEB 1733 OR 9 FEB 1734
    Error parsing date '10 FEB 1748 OR 10 FEB 1749' for I1307: Samuel Hurst' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 10 FEB 1748 OR 10 FEB 1749
    Error parsing date '19 FEB 1748 OR 19 FEB 1749' for I1307: Samuel Hurst' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 19 FEB 1748 OR 19 FEB 1749
    Error parsing date '10 FEB 1748 OR 10 FEB 1749' for I1308: Martha Hurst' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 10 FEB 1748 OR 10 FEB 1749
    Error parsing date '11 MAR 1736 OR 11 MAR 1737' for I1318: Richard Husk' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 11 MAR 1736 OR 11 MAR 1737
    Error parsing date '15 Mar 1744(5)' for I1321: Eliz Hursk' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 15 MAR 17445
    Error parsing date 'POSS 1853' for I1386: Sarah Westmorland' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 1853
    Error parsing date '31 JAN 1726 OR 31 JAN 1727' for I1403: Diana Westmorland' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : 31 JAN 1726 OR 31 JAN 1727
    Error parsing date 'POSS 1854' for I1406: Jane Edgar' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 1854
    Error parsing date 'POSS 1849' for I1408: John Hogg' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : POSS 1849
    Error parsing date 'See note' for I1660: Mary Hames' error message was : Unrecognised date format for : SEE NOTE

5. Devonian

That's it for today - so no hurry for any resoonse/advice!

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you have some date format errors to fix. :)

See note, is not a date!
    1745(6) should be written 1745/6
    Poss is not in the gedcom std.
    31 JAN 1726 OR 31 JAN 1727 should be 31 JAN 1726/7

7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Yes Tim is right your dates are mostly the same format and are in non GEDCOM format. This might be your fault entering invalid data or it might be a bug in the version of the program you are using that is causing it to produce bad GEDCOM dates for double dates.

What is the Poss meant to indicate in your dates? as Tim says there is nothing in the GEDCOM standard that gives a meaning to poss. I'm not sure I can guess what it might be either. Could it be a not on the accuracy of the date? If so then this should either be in a note field or a field whose name escapes me just now but its to do with qualitative assessment of a facts validity.

The see note ones are simply bad data where a note text has been put in a date field rather than a note or desc field. These "see note" ones are simply errors that could be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  8. Alexander Bisset

You don't have to power off the computer to kill off an application. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how windows works. At worse all you need to to is to kill off the task in task manager. You can launch task manager by right clicking on the task bar or from the ctrl-alt-delete menu. Once you have task manager running you'd see the program showing as not responding selecting it and right clicking gives option to kill task.

If it was as bad as you had to power off the computer then you wouldn't even be able to move the mouse pointer.

I suspect what is happening is that the program is doing something wrong when it gets to 100%, and it gets stuck. Killing the task would leave windows running normally. Actually now I think of it you should be able to right click on the icon on the toolbar and say close program. Depending on how hung the program is this might work too. Killing the task from task manager will work though and saves you powering off computer.

I'd be interested to see why your file is causing a problem, so I can fix it. Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your file for testing? I would of course delete it after I'd done the testing.

Incidentally how many people are in your file? I just had a thought about how duplicates works and possible issues with exceeding max numbers.

9. Alexander Bisset

Can you give an example of an ABT date and a marriage date that gives this error message please?

Interesting idea about the right click not giving copy. I've not implemented a popup copy option on right click on the results tab that's a really good idea and actually very easy to implement. I'll add a note to include that for a future version.

10. Devonian

Thanks to both Tim and Alexander. The programme has certainly shown up errors, which I have been busily correcting. The Abt, Poss entries and notes are hang-overs from when I first started using a FH programme, (PAF) and were meant to remind me of uncertainties. I think I have now cleared them all, as well as the incorrect dates. Next step is to see if I can input the LostCousins details - but that'll take some time!
    Re my PC freezing when using the duplicates tab - there was no other option but to switch off the power. There was no arrow cursor in the FTA screen - just a revolving circle so I couldn't close the programme in the normal way. Moving the revolving circle to the task bar resulted in the normal cursor. However I couldn't access any of the other programmes that were open, or access Task Manager when right clicking.
    The FTA programme obviously gets stuck after the green bar has reached 100%.

Alexander there are just over 7000 individuals in my file. I wouldn't want to send it via a forum!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alexander Bisset

May I send you my email address privately I can then investigate what is happening and see if I can arrange a fix.

Ps. ABT is perfectly valid. My own tree is full of them.

12. Devonian

Yes - can you access my address?

13. Tim

How are you getting on? I'm interested to hear if cleaning the date formats has helped with some of your other issues?

14. Devonian

I haven't tried the duplicates tab again Tim. I'll have another go tomorrow now that I've cleaned up my FH progamme.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Devonian

Tim, having tidied up my FH programme (RootsMagic 7) I have loaded a new Gedcom into FTA, which now is not showing errors in my dates etc.
    However my PC still freezes when I try the duplicates tab. Looking closely the calculating duplicates bar seems to be 99% green. The only difference in appearance is that instead of a revolving circle in the FTA window I now have a vertical double ended arrow. I left the programme running for half an hour. Neither right clicking on the task bar nor the '3 fingered salute' would bring up Task Manager. I could not close any open programmes. So once again I had to power off. Unless anyone has a better suggestion I think I shall need to delete and re-load FTA.

16. Tim

Doesn't FTA do a reload afresh every time? What version are running?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  17. Alexander Bisset

I've sent a private forum message with my email address If you send me your file I'll look into why it's misbehaving. Tim is right it's going to be an error with the program getting something seriously screwed up in your file. I suspect some form of infinite loop. Eg: duplicate of a duplicate of a duplicate of the first duplicate etc. looping round for ever.

With your file I'd be able to pause the program whilst it's in a loop and see what exactly it is doing and why it's looping.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  18. Devonian

Sorry to be dense Alexander - but where is the private forum?

Tim, I should have said 'download' not re-load. Obviously when I access FTA (version 4.1.1.4) it is from the file I downloaded on to my PC. I was thinking that maybe there was a glitch when I downloaded the programme

19. Tim

Ok. If you scroll to the top of any page on the Forum, in the top right hand corner you'll see the word Inbox and it should have a Red 1 by it, signifying that you have a personal message.

20. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

Just a comment for any Legacy users out there who might chose to enter an event once and then "share" it across the relevant people - this method does not allow for FTA to work properly.
    FTA appears to not be able to see these shared events, and as such, even though you can see yourself that you have entered a census fact for the head and shared it to the rest, the rest of the family will appear to be missing that fact when running FTA