1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Who was Bracewell?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Tim, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I am confused about some data I have found and wondering if someone can help explain it or add or even add another theory.

I’m investigating Bracewell Deighton Whitehead b1866
    upload_2023-12-2_13-6-59.png
    And this is his brother Bracewell b1863, d 1863
    upload_2023-12-2_13-7-32.png
    upload_2023-12-2_13-8-0.png
    GRO entry

One of the hints that has appeared for Bracewell Deighton Whitehead is a Probate
    upload_2023-12-2_13-9-49.png

And this is where I get confused, the entry is recorded on the 18th May 1885, and says the death was 14 Jan 1863

The father’s name, address and occupation all match what I have for the father.

So who is the Probate entry in 1885 referring to? In 1885 Bracewell D would be 19.

I can’t find any death’s in or around 1885 on GRO or FreeBMD for Bracewell or for Whitehead that would potentially fit.

2. ChalfontR

ChalfontR LostCousins Member

The probate entry clearly refers to the child who died as an infant in 1863 ..... and years later the father had to apply for administration of the child's estate.

It is unusual for a baby to have an estate at all, but I would guess that this was something connected with the child receiving an inheritance at some stage, or being gifted something at birth which later the father needed to deal with. I'd be looking at the wills of grandparents and other relatives perhaps ? Did somebody leave a legacy to the "firstborn son" of William Whitehead maybe, and this caused the problem years afterwards ?

The second Bracewell (Deighton) Whitehead was registered in Jul-Sep 1865 (indexed as Braceful) - but it wasn't unusual for families to reuse a name, especially if it had some family significance.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Thanks ChalfontR, your suggestion is very plausible. But would they use the term "bachelor" for a baby who was potentially only days old?

4. ChalfontR

ChalfontR LostCousins Member

Sounds odd to us, but I don't see why not

5. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Are you able to order the will? I think it would be interesting to see if indeed it was a will for a baby.

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

There is no will in this case, it was an administration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Just to add to the above, if this had been a will then it would be apparent it wasn’t for a baby. From 1837 you had to be at least 21 to leave a will. Prior to that girls from the age of 12 and boys from 14 could leave wills, though from 1540, minors could only bequeath personal estate.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1