1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What records to use

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by PeterM, Mar 21, 2024.

1. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

I have traced my paternal line back to George COATES, born 1696 in Middlesex, UK. My Y-DNA suggests that I am related to the MOBBERLEY family in 1600 in Cheshire. Can anyone suggest which records may help me to make the connection? It is possible that I am related to a Peter COATES of Derbyshire but I haven't been able to prove this.
    Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It's really quite a big question you are asking, and quite difficult to answer when people don't know what you've already done - and this is not really the right forum for help with specific ancestors. However, a few general thoughts:

Firstly, have you worked through all the suggestions in Peter's various master classes? Secondly, if you are looking for more distant ancestors who maybe moved counties, such as from Derbyshire to Middlesex, then often the most helpful records might be apprenticeships and wills. London, PCC and Derbyshire wills are available online. But you might need to think sideways as well as back - for example, there may be no clues to link George Coates back to Peter (if there was a link) but there may be clues with George's siblings or cousins.

3. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

Thank you Pauline. I wasn't asking for specific help, just which would be the best records. Therefore you second paragraph is very helpful.