1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Scottish Census References

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Bryman, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Please can/will somebody help a newcomer to the Scottish censuses?

I may have found an 'ancestor' who appears in the 1881 census for Kincardineshire but the required reference does not appear to be available for entry on My Ancetors page at LC. I have read the FAQs regarding what needs to be entered but the details do not appear to be recorded in the census, or I am beginning to suffer dementure, which I hope is not true for one so young.

LC requires information for . . .
    Registration Number
    Enumeration District
    Page

Ancestry supplies the first two but no Page.
    FMP gives nothing at all.
    Family Search doesn't even admit that the person existed and shows someone else of the opposite gender.

This must be a trivial error on my part but I fear that I am suffering from a total mind block which is blinding me to the obvious answer. I would be very grateful if some kind soul would explain where I can obtain the required information from. The individual being searched for is George Scott, son of James Scott and Helen Brand, who was born at St Cyrus in 1810.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I can't seem to find the entry you mention at Ancestry, but it seems that for Scottish census entries there the page number is given in the Source Citation, below the box containing all the other information.

At least, that is where I found it, so hopefully you will too. :)

3. CeeJay

CeeJay LostCousins Star

I found a George Scott, born approx 1812 in St Cyrus, living in Montrose. This was underneath the transript
    Source Citation
    Parish: Montrose; ED: 8; Page: 14; Line: 15; Roll: cssct1881_96

Is this helpful?

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The answer is in the FAQs:

"Ancestry can be confusing because the references aren't all shown under Source Citation as you might expect: whilst you'll find the Enumeration District (ED) and page number there, the Registration number is only shown as part of the transcription (below the place of birth)."

BTW, the Scotland 1881 transcription is now free at ScotlandsPeople so it's no longer necessary to rely on Ancestry. See this October newsletter article for more details.

5. Bryman

Belated thanks for pointing out the obvious that I must have seen but not recognised. Perhaps I was too tired after haymaking, or maybe that is just the excuse. The Page number is clearly displayed but I missed it and hence asked for help.

6. Bryman

Thank you Peter, but I did read the FAQs and then missed the display of Page number in the Source Citation. :confused:

Thanks also for reminder about the free 1881 transcription at ScotlandsPeople. I did read the article in the newsletter (honest) but it did not register in my mind for long as I was not aware of any Scottish ancestors at that time. Even now, they are not my ancestors but those of a blood relative resulting from a non-marriage whose descendants may be my 3rd cousins. If only access to the NZ BMD records were not so restrictive for privacy reasons (closed for 100y after birth, 80y after marriage, 50y after death). :(