1. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Rookwood Necropolis Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia - More resources' started by Siobhan, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

Rookwood
    It is the largest cemetery in Sydney, established around 1860. It has sections for many denominations, including Jewish and Muslim, also some war graves.
    You have to log in as a member in order to search. At this stage membership is free. If you have an ancestor who came to Sydney it might be worthwhile searching the site.
    Trains used to go there taking coffins. The stations closed and were dismantled, with one taken in pieces to Canberra and rebuilt as the beautiful All Saints Anglican Church in Ainslie in the 1950s.
    It is an experience to go there. I went to an open day a few years ago - the talks on grave digging and embalming were interesting!

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

The Necropilis railway station Central is quite an architectural gem. After the trains stopped taking funerals to Rookwood it became quite abandoned. However, I have heard that it became a function centre in later years. I haven't lived in Sydney for many years so I don't know what is happening there now.

3. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

I have a friend who has a book on the stations so will borrow it to see if it sheds any light on what happened to them and post information.