1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA survey - please respond

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Sep 5, 2018.

1. sarah333

sarah333 Member

I would like to do this survey/experiment and having been reading all about it. Is there still time to take part in it?

2. sarah333

sarah333 Member

I understand where I put the number of pages into the spreadsheet, but I don't quite understand where the 3xg-grandparents come into it. Are you just meant to look in counties where you know/think that you have a ggg-grandparent? Please can someone help me? Or do I mean gg-grandparents?!

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If you don't tell me what you know about where your ancestors came from I won't know whether the algorithm needs adjusting - remember, we're still at the experimental stage.

4. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Enter your results for all of the counties and also record how many of your xxx x grandparents came from each county. Hopefully this makes sense.

5. sarah333

sarah333 Member

Thank you, yes. I have put in a column for the number of them from counties, and also will put how many from other countries as my dad was Jewish, and I think all of his ggg-grandparents will not be from this country. Does it matter what colours one uses to highlight the counties?

6. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

.. or possibly 0.5 for each of their parents if they are an "anomaly" - my children* have a 3g-gf born in Monmouthshire but his parents and all but one of his siblings were born in Gloucestershire (Bristol) and a second 3g-gf born in Hampshire with parents born in Somerset and all but one siblings born in Somerset or Gloucestershire (Bristol)! These are my only direct ancestors known to be born in these counties and, coincidentally, the two families "join" at the next level - in Bristol.

Phil

* to make it relevant ;)

7. sarah333

sarah333 Member

Yes, I must remember that they won't all be whole numbers. Thank you, Phil.
    An odd thing I have found when on Ancestry and looking through the pages of different counties for matches; in at least 3 different counties which aren't overly relevant to me, I have found the same 2 or 3 people popping up- Coates. Perhaps it is because their family tree is nearly 4,000 people, and it always says a great match, but I can't any connection as yet?!

8. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

When I completed mine, I just left my European Jewish relatives out of the 3x GG count, as I did with my Scottish and Scottish/Irish relatives as they are not applicable to the spreadsheet at the moment.

I was typing out my example, but realised it is extremely confusing as my family are all migrants both within and outside of the UK, and it doesn't read all that well. My father's (half Scottish/English, half English/Scottish/Jewish) 3xGG list reads like this:
    Scotland 12
    Ireland 4
    European Jewish (Ashkenazi) 4
    Yorkshire 4
    Hampshire 2
    Lincolnshire 1.3
    Lancashire 1
    Sussex 1
    Cambridgeshire 1
    Middlesex 1
    Northamptonshire 0.3
    Surrey 0.3

The smaller percentages come from families where a 3xGG could have ancestry from several different counties rather than just the one (who are counted as just "1").

9. sarah333

sarah333 Member

Thank you. I took a quick glimpse at your spreadsheet and noticed that you had put your "out of country" 3xGG's in a small aside. I might use that idea if you don't mind?

10. sarah333

sarah333 Member

Sorry, but think I must be doing something wrong. I have put new page figures into about 6 counties so far, all different from Peter's numbers, yet the figure in column 5 stays the same as his? Perhaps they do not change until the end, when you sort all these figures in column 5 (E on my sheet) from low to high? I haven't done a spreadsheet for years, so please, any help will be appreciated.

11. sarah333

sarah333 Member

I have put in all my results, but the final column (apart from the 3xggg column) just stays in the same order as Peter's. I think I will have to start again, though I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Peter also seems to have an extra column than me.

12. sarah333

sarah333 Member

Sorry, I have sorted it out. I think I was using the first spreadsheet, though still don't have Wales on it, but I don't have any Welsh ancestors anyway. Devon has come out on top which is what I expected. Now to try and work out the 3x GGG!

13. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I have no problem with it what-so-ever.

14. sarah333

sarah333 Member

Thanks. I have finished now, and will upload my spreadsheet. I have realized though, that because 50% of my 3xggg come from out of the country, it may not be of much use to you. All of my father's ones come from either the Latvia/Lithuania part of the world (his mother's side), or Syria (his father's side). And this is mainly because they are Jewish. As you can guess, these are quite hard to research, especially without many family papers to resort to, and I certainly hope to break down some of these brick walls, when I go through my Ancestry DNA results more thoroughly. Only his mother (my paternal gran) was born in England.
    On the other hand, because I have concentrated on my mother's side (pure English back at least to the 1600s), I have has least gained experience in tracing the maternal line!
    Right. now here goes!

Attached Files:

15. Bazza43

Bazza43 LostCousins Member

Hello Peter,
    I'm responding to your banner headline which asks have I tested with Ancestry? Obviously I have or I wouldn't be posting here. I have looked at your and Sian's spreadsheets, and I'm a little puzzled by a couple of things. Firstly what determines the order of the counties? Does the spreadsheet somehow sort the rows to match the criterion? Secondly, how do I know the county of birth of my matches? Most of them don't display it, and even if they've entered it, as they're still alive, it won't be shown.

I presume one somehow sorts the matches by county of birth and then you count the number of pages to enter into the spreadsheet. Are there instructions somewhere (eg when you download it?) Maybe I should have first downloaded it>>

Bazza

16. Bazza43

I think I've worked out the how, but not the rest of it (eg what is the colouring in supposed to denote??) So I've done it using Sian's worksheet as a template, counties are still in that order. No colouring. If I can work out how to do it, I'll attach the result.
    Done.
    Please comment.
    Bazza.

Attached Files:

17. Bazza43

So were Quakers.

18. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

After 1860 it was no longer compulsory for a Quaker to marry another Quaker. It's also relatively easy for an outsider to become a Quaker - my stepmother did.

19. sarah333

sarah333 Member

I had quite a lot of Quakers on one branch of my mother's maternal side, way back, but a lot of them moved to London and seemed to get married in Anglican churches. Earlier on in the 18th century they would marry at the Quaker House, which in their case was in Woodbridge, Suffolk.

20. Bazza43

Between 1754 and 1837 you could only get married in a CofE, except if you were a quaker or a jew. That is supposed to be because they were the only two groups who kept good records. The CofE could be controlled by parliament.

Baz.