1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Would someone help me to confirm whether this is or isn't my family

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by BerryW, Oct 8, 2022.

Discussion Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vio

Vio LostCousins Member

I meant to also say that Charlotte Ann West was born in East Farndon.

2. BerryW

BerryW LostCousins Member

Hi Vio
    I certainly can't rule out a connection but on a quick look I can't see a positive connection either. Have you done a DNA test? I will look at it more closely tonight as I am also trying to focus in on the Wests in East Farndon as there does seem to be a positive DNA connection with that name. I will keep you posted:)
    Berry

3. Vio

Vio LostCousins Member

Hi Berry
    I have done a DNA test but Charlotte Ann West was not a blood relative. She married a gg uncle though and had two children whose descendants would throw up a match, not that I've seen an obvious one. I need to look again. So many just do their DNA to find out if they're a Viking or whatever, so have no trees to speak of or little knowledge of their ancestry going back more than a couple of generations.

The children were Nora Winifred Crook born 1894 Nottingham, who married Charles Roland Alsop from Northants (probably married 1919 as the names are unusual but I haven't sent off for a cert to verify). They had 2 boys and a girl born 1921, 1925 and 1926, which means they might be alive so won't name them here. Easy to find.

Edith Ann(ie) Crook born 1895 Nottingham married Edward Inkerman Jordan Bell who was a professional soldier and died abroad in WW1. Their son has the same name, born in 1918 after his father's death. Edith then lived with her mother who had remarried so is in the records as Charlotte Ann Wardman. Mr and Mrs Wardman didn't live together for very long - he went back to mum, and she didn't marry again. Edith lived with her mother in Cheltenham. Edith's son Edward I J Bell died in Cheltenham in 1993. He may not have had children. I haven't found a marriage for him but if he didn't use his middle names, then the record might be there somewhere. There are a LOT of Edward Bells in the records..

4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I also came across a report of a kerfuffle in William Green's hairdresser's shop in the Bradford Review of 29 Nov 1862 which resulted in an assault case being brought by William against someone who allegedly came into the shop with others, turning things upside down and assaulting a customer.

I realise this doesn't get you any further with your research, Berry, but it adds a bit of 'colour' and shows William was using the surname Green while he was in Bradford.

5. BerryW

Thank you for this Helen, it has also reduced the time period for searching for his death. Assuming he continued with the name Green of course!! I have just been looking for the marriage of his son Walter [1876 Bradford to Martha Hudson] to see if he is mentioned as deceased but it looks like another certificate to obtain as I have not found a parish record so far. Hey ho. I must say he has been 'the' most interesting member of my ancestral family:-D

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Berry, I wonder if you have seen this, there is a marriage for a Walter Green to a Martha Hudson 24 Sep 1876 in Ancestry records " West Yorkshire Non-Conformist Records 1646 - 1985 " . Walters father is William Green but it does not say if he is deceased or not.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, we did see that record when we were researching the family, and you can see from the 1881 Census that it's the right Walter, but I don't know if Berry has ordered the certificate. Interesting that Walter was still calling himself Green even though his birth registration is as Walter Adams.

8. BerryW

Thank you Heather, that's very useful. What a mine of information there is in that set of records! With 800+ pages it may take some time to get through them though:-D
    Yes I am waiting for the certificate, but in fairness to GRO, did only get round to ordering that one earlier this week so anticipate it appearing in a week or so's time. However, I looked to see what day I sent it and realised that I have put the wrong surname for Martha, Hodges instead of Hudson. Duh! I guess that might delay it a bit. Have sent a online form to highlight my senior moment so hopefully it won't be too long.
    If it does not state that William Green is deceased, two thoughts spring to mind about this very slippery customer. First, is that factually correct? and secondly, did he disappear and start using yet another name? again! Three in fact, might he have gone with daughter Sarah, who I still have not found in 1871 or in a marriage or death registration, yet.
    I certainly can't complain about having very boring ancestors now!

9. BerryW

Hi Vio
    Still not found the connection, but have found William West's marriage to Charlotte Smith and William and Charlotte's baptism too. Do you already have these?

10. peter

That entry isn't recorded in a statutory register and doesn't give all the information normally required (eg father's occupation), so the fact that he is not shown as deceased doesn't tell us anything.

But thanks to Berry's sleuthing skills we now know that he was alive in 1881 - see the next instalment (or possibly the one after).

EDIT: sorry, got confused between the real William Green and William Adams alias Green. It's the former who Berry has found in 1881.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  11. peter

I've temporarily close this thread to prevent the posting of spoilers - it will re-open after the next instalment is published in the newsletter.

Discussion Status:
Not open for further replies.