1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Working the Numbers

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Alexander Bisset, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The issue with most trees is that they are often uni-directional, we find a set of parents for a known child, then work back to their marriage and work back to those parents births etc. This is filled in by the census to give us some siblings although often not the full picture. However rarely do many people work those trees forwards to find the marriages of the siblings and thus their families on the census, its often more by accident that we find them on the census on the same page but different household to the parents we were looking for or something similar.

The result is that most people have limited numbers of cousins they could enter onto the 1881 census. However as Peter regularly says its these sidelines that hold the key, lets imagine an average 1800s family.

Couple born in late 1700s marry in 1800 and have 6-8 children over course of 20 years to 1820. Of course some of these say 2-3 may die young although experience shows often the numbers are "topped up" so to speak by having families of 10-12 of whom 3-4 die. So I'm going to use 7 children as a first benchmark, naturally some families will be smaller some will be larger lets take that as an average.

So 7 children survive and marry in the 1820s and 1830s, these will have children in the 1820s-1850s and again lets say they have 7 each. This branch is now over 50 people (including spouses), in the 1840s through to 1870s these children will marry and have children lets say 7 each again giving us 343 although of course we will encounter the issue that some for these people who married in the 1840s will have children themselves by the time their cousins are born. So we are probably around 350 people. If these half of these are having 7 children by the 1881 census we are talking 1225 people. However lets trim that right back because some won't be old enough to have 7 children by 1881 so lets just take 2.5 times the children just to trim back the numbers a bit although obviously it could be much more that gives 875 children born between 1860s and 1880s. Throw in the parents of the previous generation still alive and you easily get to 1000 people alive on the 1881 census from just one couple.

Now that is from ONE of your branches who marry in 1800. Typically depending on your age lets assume 65, your parents marry in say 1940s, your 4 grandparents in 1910s, your 8 1g grandparents marry in 1880s, your 16 2g grandparents marry in 1850s, your 32 3g grandparents marry in 1820s. (I've used 30 years each generation there which should usually be more like 25 so I'm going to round up by using 20 years to make first couple in 1800s). Thus your 64 4g grandparents marry in 1800s. So we have approx 32 couples marrying in 1800s.

We saw before that for 7 children average we get 1000 people per original couple in 1881 census, for 32 couples that's 32000 people that could be on the 1881 census from your direct lines. Of course some of these will emigrate some will have less children some will have more - some branches may originate from countries outside the census countries Lost Cousins covers. Some will intermarry thus reducing the numbers as branches converge etc. So the numbers might be less.

Note even if you think 7 children is too high lets feed in 2,3,4,5,6 as possibles this gives:
    • 2 children approx 864 relatives to enter to 1881 census
    • 3 children approx 2544 relatives to enter to 1881 census
    • 4 children approx 5696 relatives to enter to 1881 census
    • 5 children approx 10800 relatives to enter to 1881 census
    • 6 children approx 18336 relatives to enter to 1881 census
    Of course by the time you bring that forward to today's numbers there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who are typically your Lost Cousins. So have a look at your My Ancestors page. Have you really entered all your Ancestors?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Alex that is brilliant (and mind boggling) as well as useful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Nicely explained and I agree with the results obtained from your approximations but I think that reality produces much smaller numbers.
    I have not done a full investigation as I am already late for bed (due to lost email folders in Firefox) but just looking at one line of my direct ancestors, I get figures like . . .

5GG married 1751 having 1 leg with issue with none alive in 1881
    4GG married 1776 having 2 legs with issue with none alive in 1881
    3GG married 1810 having 2 legs with issue with none alive in 1881
    2GG married 1839 having 2 legs with issue with both alive in 1881
    1GG married 1882 having 4 legs with issue

There will be more when other direct ancestor lines and colateral lines are included but that is still a long, long way short of your estimates.
    I have not yet looked at the output of FTA to get appropriate totals but perhaps others might like to check their trees while I sleep.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I won't argue the logic but the numbers seem high and unfortunately reality doesn't match the theory.

But, Peter must have lots of data in Lost Cousins. Assuming everyone adds the Ahnentafel number to LC then some interesting stats could be worked out.

Also, looking at my data in FTA, I have 16 4th GGP's, maybe I nice report could be written to indicate which GGP's are missing parents?

5. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

I can't see any flaw in Alexander's logic, and his range of estimates seem reasonable, but his conclusions do not seem credible. If each couple produce 7 children who go on to reproduce the total population will increase by a factor of 3.5 each generation - that's a factor of 150 in 4 generations. The population rose from 7.75m in 1801 to 24.4m in 1881 and to 30m in 1901. That's a factor of 3.8 in 100 years, say 4 generations, giving an increase per generation of a factor of 1.4, implying an average of 3 reproducing children per couple. This seems very low when 10 or 12 children families were common. Looking at the 2g-grandparents in my own tree I see two examples of a single (illegitimate) child, then 4, 6, 11, 11 and 12 (with one set unknown). This is an average of just under 7, and there may be some that I do not know of. However some of these did not have any children of their own. Some will have emigrated but it still seems a puzzle as to where is everyone?

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

When I'm doing calculations of this sort I assume 2 children per generation the adjust the result by the increase in population over the relevant period. However this might not be appropriate for Scotland and Ireland where emigration was higher.

7. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

If you are trying to estimate the number of relatives in the 1881 census then emigration is irrelevant, and your method might be quite accurate.

8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

They may have gone to the US or Canada in which case they can still be entered, although the chance of a match is lower, especially for the US.

9. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Bryman's calculation on his descendants had me looking for my equivalent(s)

Like him, my 5 G grandparents were marrying earlier than Alexander's model, and the numbers do indeed get terrifyingly large, so I started with 3G Gfathers, instead.

3GG Robert married 1798 having 12 children, 4 with issue (5 of these children alive in 1881, as were 13 of the next generation, and 18 of the following generation
    2GG married 1842 having 8 children, 6 with issue (7 of these children alive in 1881, but none of the next generation yet born)
    So that's 43 people in the 1881 census, descended from just one of my 3G grandfathers (GGF and his family are included only once)

However,
    3GG Thomas married 1787 having 10 children, 1 (as far as I can trace) with issue (none of these children alive in 1881)
    2GG married 1844 having 2 children, 2 with issue (2 of these children alive in 1881, but none of the next generation yet born)
    This line, there were only 2 people in the 1881 census, descended from another of my 3G grandfathers
    Then, a line going in for younger marriage and shorter generations
    3GG Richard married 1833 having 12 children, 7 with issue (9 of these children alive in 1881, also 21 of the next generation)
    2GG married 1863 having 9 children, 5 with issue (8 of these children alive in 1881, but none of the next generation yet born)

So, 38 in this line.
    I would think that the model of 7 children each having 7 children etc is definitely on the high side.
    My 3GGF Thomas barely maintained enough desecndants for the line to squeak through.
    My 3GGF Robert had 12 children, but only about the same number of grandchildren, whereas a conservative estimate allowing for early deaths etc might have thought he could well have had 50.

I'd say that somewhere along the line, the mathematical model hits social or biological reality and get seriously modified

10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The big drag on the numbers that I hinted at but didn't factor in was the incidence of cousins marrying cousins, also the which then dramatically cuts the numbers as you no longer have as many unique individuals to deal with. Also I suspect that which 7 children families on average are common. I think in hindsight I shouldn't have assumed that all 7 then has issue. I suspect using 3-4 having issue is probably closer to being right. In which case this would be equivalent to midway between the numbers for 3-4 children per family.

Anyway the general gist still holds. The numbers get shocking large even for just one branch really quickly. The base point is that if you are just entering direct relatives your matches will be rare on Lost Cousins, you really need to enter all the siblings and ideally their children onto Lost Cousins as it is far more likely that a match will come from a 3rd or 4th generation from a sibling of a 2nd or 3rd great grandparent than it will come from someone who is from your more immediate direct line.

Tim mentions a suggestion for a new report to show the people in your tree for whom you haven't yet found the parents. This already exists in FTAnalyzer and it available on the Treetops tab. The people that appear there are the ones at the top of your tree for whom you have yet to find parents. If you limit this report to direct ancestors then you get a list of the furthest back point on each branch of your tree. It's amazing how frequently we might look at such a list and not recognise the surnames but everyone in that list will be a direct ancestor and finding that birth might just unlock another generation.

I did that looking for a birth for a branch I'd not looked at recently and found a birth fairly easily. I'm not sure why it had eluded me before perhaps because websites have moved on and new info is available and I'd just not looked at that branch for ages. That discovery led to a marriage for the parents which hit a fairly unusual name Moses Arbuthnott. When finding an unusual name my first reaction is to Google it and see if I get any hits. WELL!!! It turns out there is a lot of info on him and his descendants, and indeed the whole Arbuthnott family. There are unproved links between Moses and other branches of the family which if proved would mean that he's a gateway ancestor into the landed gentry and records going back centuries.

Note from one genealogy Moses and his wife have a six children which leads to well over 100 people, and that only includes a very, very small part of my own branch, as you'd expect it concentrates on the person who created the tree's main line.

I've not added in all these people into my tree if I did it would allow me to add probably 50-60 more people to the 1881 Lost Cousins Scottish Census. Just from one couple. Hence relevant to this discussion at hand.

PS. I've moved this thread into its own discussion as it's not specific to the weekly stats Red lists.

11. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Alexander, well done on finding a new family.
    I echo the value of searching again after a gap. I am currently mining FamilySearch, which has either got better (at what it includes), or I have (at my searching) and found some mother lode.

Re the descendant numbers, the case of cousin marriage certainly reduces numbers of descendants (in my tree the only one I know of in my direct ancestry was one set of 3G Gparents) but this was not my point. Actually, I was not trying to make a point, but my rummaging through a few lines of ancestry indicated to me that reckoning on 7 in every generation is far too generous/optimistic a number. As others have pointed out, figures for population growth don't tally. In more modern times, where let us postulate families with 2 children, one of my GGFs (born c1850) has just 3 GG grandchildren, when the mathematical model might suggest 16. I think the same shortfall occurred in the past.

And I entirely endorse the value of going back as far as you can (to 5 or 6 GGparents if possible) and tracking down the descendants of all their children - and putting them on LC, of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mike

Mike Member

Has anyone seen Puzzilla.org It is closely related to FamilySearch. It helps with cousins finding and descendency research. Only works on trees that have been entered into FamilySearch though so not much use really!

There is a brief Puzilla demo video here.

Pity it doesn't work on any Gedcom. It's the nice use of graphics and colour I like for showing all the cousins.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1