1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Woolbeding, Sussex

Discussion in 'Sussex' started by CarolB08, May 18, 2016.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I have a couple of my husbands relatives who married in this little place, their Father was a gardener, on the 1939 Register he is described as living in Gardeners Cott, Woolbeding, Midhurst, Sussex. At the end of his entry is the attached comment, can anyone make out what it says ? I think it says Gardener, Brit Red Cro if this is correct where might he have been gardening?
    Any thoughts please :)
    Many thanks
    Carol snip.JPG

2. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

Maybe British Red Cross.

A Google search bought up a list of War Hospital Supply Depots organised by private individuals for the British Red Cross and Order of St John of Jerusalem. One of the organisers for Midhurst , Sussex was Mrs Henry Lascelles of Woolbeding.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CarolB08

Thankyou for this information Sue345, I had done a search on google for the British Red Cross but all it had thrown up were currant issues.
    I am still a bit confused as to the role my man would have played as a gardener in a war hospital supply depot, unless it was to supply food to them, that would make sense.

4. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Woolbeding House was at that time owned by Mr and Mrs Henry Lascelles and is now in the hands of the National Trust. It seems to have been used as a War Hospital Supply Depot for the British Red Cross as Sue345 says, but the extensive grounds would have required a gardener or gardeners.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. CarolB08

Thank you for this information Susan, I wonder if the National Trust might have staff records from this time. ?