1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Witness Blanket touring in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The Witness Blanket is an art installation that will be touring Canada for the next five years funds permitting. It collectively recounts for future generations the true story of loss, strength, reconciliation and pride of the Indian Residential School Experience. It follows on the heels of the release of the Truth and Reconciliation Report in May 2015.
    I saw it today when it opened in Hamilton with a presentation from the artist Carey Newman and it is very moving. First Nation children were taken away from their parents sometimes for three successive generations to attend residential schools and deprived of their cultural heritage during their formative years.
    In terms of genealogical research if we suspect we have found a former student we should seek some assistance from the local First Nation community. A second point made by one of the speakers today is that for those of us whose ancestors arrived later it is not our fault as the present generation. However as the website says
    "Many of us didn’t experience the residential schools firsthand, but are able to witness through learning and active participation in the reconciliation process. Spread the word now, by sharing our project or supporting the touring process."

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you very much, Britjan. A wonderful big-hearted friend of mine has fostered three First Nation children, with mixed success. All were severely scarred by their experience in the residential schools. I'll forward the site to her.

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Was this in Canada Gillian? The scars are enormous but I hope I didn't sound "preachy" above. Nothing could have been farther from my intention.

4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Yes, in Canada. The annoying thing is I don't have my friend's street address with me where I am now (in the wilds). I'm pretty sure she lives in Ontario, but where?? I can easily find out. And, no, you didn't sound preachy - not in the least. I copied your posting above to Jacky. I'm sure she'll reply soon so we'll see how she reacts.

5. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Well, my friend Jacky has replied - in an impassioned address. Perhaps this isn't the right place to put her reply, but here goes - others may be interested. If one of the moderators thinks this message should not be here, please remove it.
    "The native people here in Canada are in a sorry state...rampant alcohol/drug/gas sniffing and glue sniffing probs on the most of the Reserves. I was heavily involved when we lived in Manitoba where a lot of the big reserves are situated and the whole situation is bad bad bad. I feel that some really tough love is called for and that no one in the government has the guts to stand up and say so. The Reserves quite simply do not work for anyone...they are a terrible drain on the rest of us financially, there is total corruption on the part of the Elders, and the Indian people are falling by the wayside. You simply cannot live in this modern world by fishing and hunting buffalo and speaking a long dead language that no one else understands...there is no turning back or stopping the clock. This sounds harsh but in order for the next generations to have a chance I think the Reserves should be put on notice that in an agreed amount of time the government will no longer support them and the occupants will be integrated into the rest of the population and treated like regular Canadian citizens. This will probably mean genocide for the Indian Nation but Canada is a HUGE melting pot of people from all parts of the world and we do this pretty well. Oh dear you have me back on my soapbox spouting out again!! I will finish by saying that the 3 Indian children that we adopted did not do well as they got into their teens that is true... Ah but their children are doing much much better and are regular citizens, marrying and having beautiful babies and well integrated into modern life!! I rest my case!!!I will stop waffling on now...."

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

This is indeed a common reaction and one that I cannot agree with and although our forum isn't the likely the best place for it perhaps we can get it moved to a safe place and meanwhile I will p.m. you

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I understand that you can't agree with Jacky; I find it hard myself. But on the other hand I admire her tremendously for saving three children who would otherwise have been doomed. As she says, the next generation, has done well.

8. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I have to go away from this for 24 hours and let my wiser head prevail but what echoes in the back of mind is my mother saying that her grandfather, she believed, took pains to hide his Irish roots when he came to England going as far as dropping O' from his name.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1