1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Windows 8.1 and FTM

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by Margery, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I would appreciate some expert advice, please. I have purchased a new laptop which has Windows 8.1 :confused: installed have discovered that I can't transfer my PAF. Having received an offer of a 20% discount on Family Tree Maker 2014 I decided to go ahead with the download option. After a couple of false starts I was advised that they were unable to download the software.
    I am using statellite broadband with the maximum peak speed available, would this be the reason? Or would it be incompatible with 8.1? If I purchased the disc would I be able to install it?
    I might add that I am very happy with Windows 7 on my desktop and I only purchased the laptop so that I could take it to my U3A genealogy classes!

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Hi Margery, I have 8.1 and successfully transferred both .paf and FTM 12 (I would expect FTM 2014 even more likely to be compatible). One of our forum boffins I'm sure will respond with technical advise for you. Windows 7 is possible if you download a free program from "Classic Shell"
    I was able to use Windows 8 and/or 7 with the program whilst I was getting to grips with the 'tiles' start-up, having jumped from Windows XP, which is also selectable from the classic program. I do seem able to manage better since I upgraded from W8 to W8.1

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

On Amazon it states that it works with Win 8 / 7 / Vista.

Who advised you that you can not download the software? I use FTM myself with Win 7 and have no issues.

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

When using large software packages like this make sure you download the installer and save it to your machine. Only after the download has finished should you run it. If using Internet explorer this means using the SAVE function and NOT the run function. Running such a large program as it downloads means any interruptions and it fails and has to start from scratch. If you save it locally first you aren't trying to get it to do two things "at once" as it were. More importantly though if you save it first you have the file locally so you can use it to re-install later should you need to without having to download it again.

FTM2014 is defininitely compatible with Windows 8.1. PAF is discontinued and whilst it can be forced to run on 8.1 its a good opportunity to leave it behind, as there would be no support for any problems you encounter. Whereas with FTM there is a forum and helpdesk you can raise issues with, which allows you to get support from other users and the developers.

On the install issue have you installed any other 3rd party software how did this go?

5. Margery

Thanks to all for your replies. I'm sure that you will realise that I am certainly not an expert computer user having come to the technology late in life.
    Alexander, I just followed the instructions and thought that I was downloading it to my computer and was surprised to find that it would take more than 12 hours to do so. It was after I came back later to check the progress that I found the message stating that it was unable to download (or a similar wording). At this stage I was concerned that my Visa had been debited for the amount so I emailed them asking for an explanation and a credit. That was on Wednesday but so far I haven't received a reply. Incidentally, my Visa hadn't been debited (perhaps they do it after the download?). I haven't tried to install any other software, the laptop is new. I am beginning to think that my slow satellite broadband might be the culprit.
    On the PAF issue, my visiting granddaughter saved my file on to a thumb drive to install on the laptop but was unable to, getting a message saying that it did not support the programme (again, or similar wording). I must say that I have never encountered any problems with it and it suits me just fine.
    Emjay, you make me feel better in that you are getting to grips with 8.1, I can't say that I am happy with it as it is just so different:confused: and I am too old for change!

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Margery we must be of a similar age; it does take time to adjust and I find, to retain information. We are even getting used to the new format FMP, aren't we ?

I may have been fortunate, and got my new lap top before the support for .paf finished; do you still have your old lap top and/or gedcom file?

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Emjay I too endorse downloading "Classic Shell" for Win 8, however to be truthful it only ever provided a 'Win7' desktop image (to overcome the dreadful 'tiles' of Win 8). Underneath it is still a Win8 operating system. I found the upgrade to Win 8.1 much smoother and the 'Classic Shell' desktop is very user friendly.

As for Margery I can only endorse Alexander's comment that FTM14 works with Win 8(8.1) but have no experience with PAF . (I would expect like my FTL obsolete program 8/8.1 is likely a step too far for PAF unless it can be run in compatibility mode).

If Alexander's option to 'Save' cannot be applied (given your download problems) can I suggest you contact Amazon and see if you can switch to purchasing an FTM disc instead.

8. Margery

Bob, that was one of my questions - if I purchase the disc will it work for me?

9. Tim

As I mentioned before, it does state it works with Win 8 and others have mentioned that FTM and Win 8 works for them.

There is no reason why it won't work for you. :)

10. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Sorry Margery, typical of me I did not pick up that point. But Tim is right, the answer has to be yes. Just ensure you have the current version 2014. Let us know how you get on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Margery

Thanks everyone, I'll bite the bullet and report back.:)

12. Tim

That's the spirit!! :)

13. Margery

Just an update on my dilemma. I still don't have the disc and have emailed Avanquest Software three times but have yet to hear from them even though a reply within 48 hours was promised. I decided a phone call was in order and followed their instructions to phone customer service on an 0800 number between 8.00pm and 4.00am AEST, not knowing which country I was phoning. The call could not be connected. I then decided to phone Ancestry.com.au on their freecall number and found that I was speaking to a call centre on the east coast of America. The girl tried to be helpful but really didn't know what to do. She did say though, that I should have used the 0044 prefix and omitted the first 0 of the 0800 number. How was I to know that, I ask?
    Anyhow, the bottom line is that the girl will speak to her manager who, hopefully, will contact Avanquest then email me back. Fingers crossed.
    Oh, and my Visa has been debited, too.

14. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

I believe that FTM is not supported by Avanquest at least not in the UK, it is supported by Ancestry.co.uk, try emailing ancestrysupport@custhelp.com or contact them by phone at 0800-404-9723 from 9 AM to 10 PM GMT, Monday through Friday or from 9 AM - 8 PM GMT, Saturday and Sunday

15. Margery

Thanks Webwiz. I ordered FTM through an offer from Ancestry.com.au (included a 3mth Ancestry subscription) and I was forwarded the confirmation of my order from Avanquest. As I explained earlier I was unable to download the software due to the slow connection (is that the right word?) through my satellite broadband. When I tried, it originally said that the download would take "more than 12 hours", then the message just said "unable to download".
    Seems that my phone call to Ancestry.com.au bore fruit as I received an email from Avanquest with instructions how to download - they had totally ignored my request to have a disc forwarded. I then replied reiterating my request and I have now received a reply stating that they cannot change an order but that they will give me a refund if I make a screenshot informing them that I have uninstalled the software successfully! I wonder just what universe these people live in.
    How can I uninstall it if I couldn't install it in the first place. They did send a link on how to make a screenshot but the instructions are far too technical and beyond my level of computer aptitude.
    I might add that it is hard enough getting my head around Windows 8.1 without all this extra angst.

16. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

Sorry I did not realise you were in Australia. I don't know who supports FTM there.

the slow connection (is that the right word?) That is OK but "bandwidth" is more nerdy. I agree that it is most probably your satellite broadband speed that caused the problem. You could try measuring the speed, this is in any case a handy thing to know in case you ever think of downloading something else, and if you update your Windows (I really hope you do) you need to know the speed because if it is slow you probably need to leave your computer switched on more or less permanently (restart it every couple of days) as the Windows updates can take ages to download on a slow connection. There are lots of free broadband speed checkers, just Google "broadband speed check" and choose one based in Oz if possible. If it is less than 1Mb it will be considered slow. Unfortunately the American software people who decide these matters have superfast optical fibre broadband and do not understand the problems of people living in rural Somerset let alone the Australian Outback.

it is hard enough getting my head around Windows 8.1 Most people I know with Windows 8 have downloaded Classic Shell, but if your download speed is slow you might have difficulty doing that. It's possible that someone more expert than me (Alexander?) might be able to create a disk for you.

They did send a link on how to make a screenshot but the instructions are far too technical and beyond my level of computer aptitude. Can you copy and paste the link here. (To copy a link without triggering it start the mouse pointer just after the end and sweep backwards until the whole link is highlighted then hold down Ctrl and type C. To paste it use Ctrl V.)

I wonder just what universe these people live in. I understand your frustration but I suppose they need procedures to stop people getting a free copy for a friend; just a pity their staff cannot be more flexible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Margery

Have just heard from Avanquest that my order has been refunded as requested.
    I understand that there are procedures to follow but if they had just read my earlier emails they would have realised what had happened. And then there is a matter of trust.....
    There are issues in this country with broadband. I won't go into the political angle but there are huge chunks of the country who don't have access at all. Then there are those of us who have been connected to slow satellite for some years and were promised an upgrade after 3 years and have now found that the programme was abandoned last December. Living in rural areas may have advantages of a slower lifestyle but we don't even have mobile phone coverage......

Here endeth my winge of the week:(. Thanks everyone.

18. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

And a very valid whinge it was :( ...and yet it's not classed as a 3rd World country;)

19. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Hi Margery,

The Avanquest Australian website has the option to purchase a box or a download. The box purchase option should solve your issue. Note there are various "editions" which only vary in the length of the Ancestry subscription they include. The link is to the "Delux" edition which I think is what you previously tried to order.

20. Margery

Thanks Alexander, yes, the Deluxe edition was the one I ordered. I have just received the refund so will now order the box. I might add, though, that the 20% discount special offer has expired:(.