1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Why is a sibling of a 'n' x Great Grandparent one generation higher as a Great Grand Uncle or Aunt?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

One thing that defeats me each time, despite many years of experience, is in finding out that a great uncle (or great aunt for the matter) who is a sibling of a great grandparent has an increased generational number than the sibling who is a direct line grandparent.

I will explain something that cropped up this week after some in-depth research about a great uncle (I will say how many times 'great' in a moment) who received a 'Freeman' status (Freedom of the City through being a member of the Wheelwrights Guild) in 1755. From that date you will know I am going back a stretch and in the end I identified him as John the son of my 6 x Great Grandfather George. He was also the brother of my 5 x Great Grandfather who, confusingly, was another George. So without giving it a thought I referred to the said John as my 5 x Great Uncle. However on his page in my Ancestry Tree -where I am the root figure - he was shown as my 6th Great Uncle, despite also being the brother of a 5th Grandfather.

I actually thought Ancestry had it wrong, so I sought a second opinion in FTM with a Relationship chart which confirmed the same. So I had to think it through over again (as I had done in the past) to take on board that any offspring of a Great x ( n) Grandparent who does not become direct line and so takes the generational number lower (n-1) takes the same generational number as their parents -i.e. 'n'. As they say in the vernacular ...'it does my head in'!

If that is as clear as mud, sorry, but if any consolation even though I know that is the way it works, I will I am sure challenge the whole thing again next time.

Perhaps Peter or some other kind soul will provide a rule of thumb to explain why it works as it does.

2. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Your grandparents' siblings, Bob, are your great-uncles and great-aunts, so the first 'great' appears in your grandparents' generation. This means that in preceding generations the great-uncles and great-aunts will always be one 'great' ahead of your great-grandparents. Does this help?

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

If you called your Great Uncle a Grand Uncle, then everything would be aligned. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Bob Spiers

Thanks for that Susan, but even though I have done that exercise many times, even back to my father's brother being an uncle, and my grandfather's brother (who I knew for a short time as a boy) who Dad referred to as Uncle George, was my Grand Uncle George. I never knew my Grandmother's sister although heard her spoken of as Grand Aunt Florrie, but I knew her husband my Grand Uncle Peter. In all case 'Grand' not 'Great'. That made complete sense then and now - 'Grand' applied to siblings (and spouses) of grandparents

I have just checked out Grand Uncle George in Ancestry and yes he is shown as a Great Uncle and his brother as Grandfather; both being children of a Great Grandfather. So that is where it all starts and the 'step-sequencing' kicks in. Which is a 'grand' (pun intended) shame!

5. Bob Spiers

Thank you Tim, and as you will see from my follow up posting to Susan, that is precisely how I was taught to address those Grand aunts and Uncles I knew as a child. That probably is why I find it hard to cope with the seemingly mis-alignment of generation numbers between direct line and blood line.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I rarely use the uncle/aunt terminology when I refer to one of my direct ancestor's siblings - I generally call them "my 4G grandfather's brother" or whatever. I believe this is more meaningful both for me and, I hope, whoever I am corresponding with.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bob Spiers

Yes indeed it is and something I may well adopt. In the instance about which I posted, I had decided not to refer to my designated 6th Great Uncle as such, instead refer to him as a 5th Great Grand Uncle, the brother of my 5th Great grandfather. I think I can now cut to the chase and just refer to him as my 5G grandfather's brother. Simples! Thank you.