1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Why are FreeBMD & GRO indexes different?

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by Colin Martin, May 31, 2019.

1. Colin Martin

Colin Martin LostCousins Member

Has anyone ideas why this is different, I have checked the image on FreeBMD

Deaths Jun 1847
    Scriven Charles Edwin
    Daventry 15 178

Scriven Charles Edwin
    Daventry 15 182

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN 0
    GRO Reference: 1847 M Quarter in DAVENTRY Volume 15 Page 208

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN 0
    GRO Reference: 1847 J Quarter in DAVENTRY Volume 15 Page 182

GRO does not recognise Jun 1847 15 178 but gives Mar 15 208

I put any error report to the GRO who came back with ‘Indexed data is correct.’

Any comments please.

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Do you know why there are two entries for the same death in both FreeBMD and GRO indices?

3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

There only appears to be one birth entry for Charles Edwin Scriven on GRO, b. 1846 Q2 Shardlow Union 19 659, mms Saville. Is this the one that should tie in with the death entries?

4. Colin Martin

Hi Helen & Susan,

Thank you for taking an interest.

Two brothers had sons and gave them the same name, Charles Edwin Scriven. The first in 1844 the second in 1846. Then there was two death certificates in 1847. It seemed both boys had died. When the GRO indexes were released something didn’t fit as shown on my post.

I sent for the pfd certificates and have just got them back. Both are for the second boy. He died on 16th March 1847 cause of death – Sickly child from birth not certified. At the end of the first certificate there is a note --- For correct entry of this death see No 413

The second certificate is numbered 457 (not 413) cause of death – Natural death. Informant was a Coroner of Blackley.

It seems that the authorities were not satisfied with the first certificate and the Coroner investigate. No record of the first boy has yet been found.

My original enquiry was about the difference in reference numbers and now there is a difference in the second certificate is number 457 (not 413) I suppose the numbers are clerical errors. It was all a bit of a puzzle.

Many Thanks

Colin

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There will be differences between the contemp0rary indexes and the modern indexes. Remember that the original GRO indexes were compiled at the end of each quarter, so changes after the end of the quarter won't necessarily be shown.

6. Colin Martin

Thank you Peter.