1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

"White Russia" now known (perhaps) as Belarus

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Britjan, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I had a chat with a delightful white haired lady who I would "guestimate" was well into her 80's the other day. We started by chatting about a film she had just seen and eventually the conversation turned to our family trees. She told me some of her family came from "White Russia", and related a fascinating story she had discovered by "Googling"!!
    I certainly wasn't going to suggest that the term "White Russia " is likely politically incorrect and inaccurate but it's easy to get into dangerous waters.
    Wikipedia has the story , it's typical of the region and an interesting read

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

The link sent by Britjan didn't mention the etymological connection between the English word Russia and the Finnish word for Sweden, Ruotsi, both of which mean 'the men who row'. See this article Rus , also in Wikipedia. The Finnish word for Russia is Venäjä, which is an old Germanic loan word that originally referred to Slavs in general. Sorry, gone off subject a bit.

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

No need to apologise I will "dine out" on that little snippet of information. Who know what awkward lull in conversation it might fill? :cool:

4. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Ah, but will you be able to pronounce it?:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Good point, Margery, but actually Finnish is easy to pronounce (even if not to understand) because it's almost totally phonetic. With very few exceptions, each letter has only one sound.

6. BrianTunWells

BrianTunWells LostCousins Member

White Russia is definitely todays Belarus. However, remember that borders changed after both WWI and WWII. There are a number of claims as to the origin of the name "Belarus". Look under the paragraph headed "Entymology".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  7. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

It may (or may not) interest you to know that the Finnish for Sweden is Ruotsi, which is cognate with the English for Russia, both of which refer to people who row. The Finnish for Russia is Venäjä, which includes the word 'vene' meaning boat. Read all about it here

8. BrianTunWells

BrianTunWells LostCousins Member

Sorry - I should have stated that the paragraph "Entymology is here.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015