1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Whim wham for a wowser

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Bob Spiers, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I was fascinated to pick up in Peter's latest Newsletter something quite similar to my mother's response to a question she was too busy to answer, or had no intention of answering which was (perhaps asking what she was doing) ..."I'm making a whim wham for a wowser". It was something I often brought up when talking with my Australian sister on Skype, asking if she recalled Mom giving such a response (which she did) and both agreeing we had no idea where it came from.

The Newsletter's version to a question to be fobbed off was ... (making)"whim whams for lame ducks" and a separate link provided the alternative ..."whim-wham for a goose's bridle"...and there were more alternatives and some with whim wham changed to 'wig wam', or 'wing wong. So I knew my mother's response came from the same sort of stable - but what on earth was a wowser?

I'm still not sure, but a Google search came up with my mother's version but they were undecided by Wowser. It seems the term 'Wowser' is a archaic slang term in Australia/New Zealand given to an someone preaching to others about the evils of drink or such, or someone perceived to dislike others enjoying themselves. I did not think that would have been the etymological route for my mother's use of the word.

Much more likely is the suggestion offered that it probably came from a music-hall gag, or as used by an old time comedian on the radio. Many of her other sayings can be traced to this route - 'What a Palaver' (what a fuss) being one such - and French language corruptions brought back from the Great War by returning Tommies. Like "San Fairy Ann" (as it sounds) the corruption of "ça ne fait rien" (it doesn't matter).

I think my favourite saying which does not include whim wham as it happens is (making) "a giggling pin for a laughing shaft". Perhaps Forum member recall similar?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

My mother wasn't really given to having sayings but I clearly remember her referring to the new Curate as being "so heavenly minded to be no earthly use".

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1