1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Which Sarah I wonder?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by sunflower, Apr 25, 2022.

1. sunflower

sunflower LostCousins Member

I have a query that I cannot get confirmation on, so wonder if anyone can give me a clue as to how I proceed.

I have traced back to William Broom(e) and Sarah as being the parents of my 3 x great grandparents and am happy with that conclusion.

There are two William Brooms marrying a Sarah and there is a divided opinion on which one is correct when I look at other trees on Ancestry.

I have gone for Sarah Tomkinson b.1779 and married in 1797 at Over Peover in Cheshire, daughter of Philip & Sarah. The first child attributed to William (no Sarah) was Ann in 1797 (after the marriage of the above) This seemed logical to me timewise as well as place of marriage as the children were all baptised at Over Peover. Ann's baptism was entered as Ann Broom. I have taken the death of Sarah Broom in 1828 aged 49 as being Sarah Broom née Tomkinson

Others have gone for Sarah Jennings born 1775 at Lower Peover and she married William Broom in 1803 at Rostherne. All the same children have been attributed to the one that I have deemed to be the parents. So we all make claim to the same children but we have two different marriages. If they married in 1803 then Ann born 1797 would have been entered as Jennings. Another child Mary, was born in 1800 and she was entered as Broom as well.

I had chosen a different Sarah to the majority of the others but was happy with that until yesterday, I found a burial for Sarah Tomkinson in 1799 daughter of Philip and Sarah. Now I am not sure which is the right one as parents of the children baptised by William and Sarah Broom.

Can anyone suggest a way forward on this please as it is my direct line and I don't want to go down the wrong route. Done that before and it really complicates matters.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Well done for finding the 1799 burial - thank goodness the names of the parents are given in the register!

You now know you chose the wrong Sarah, however that doesn't necessarily mean that all the others chose the right one. I suggest you start by reading this newsletter article from February which has an example from my own tree - one that is quite similar to yours.

3. sunflower

Thanks Peter. I remember that story quite well as it reminded me at the time of a great discovery that I had made a few years ago which knocked down part of the family brick wall. I followed the reason why an ancestor was called a certain name which bore no relation to anyone else and it was the breakthrough I needed.

I have spent the evening so far looking at FMP which has given me a lot more information than Ancestry but I have to sort it all out. I am still not convinced I have the wrong one as the Wm Broom that married Sarah Jennings was always In Mere, Rostherne as an occupier according to the Cheshire land Tax Assesments from before his marriage until his death. I have found two deaths for William Broom, one at Over Peover and the other at Mere, Rostherne. I just need to find two corresponding deaths for Sarah Broom to give me all the info I need to separate them. There is a Will for William of Mere and a 1841 census which might help.

Thanks for your input, I will keep at it.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The reason I suggested re-reading the newsletter article is because I subsequently discovered that there was a third Ann Collis who married, and she may have a better claim to the parents I reasoned were my ancestors (based on the evidence available at the time the article was written). In other words, there are three women with the same name who marry, but only two baptisms can be found in the area where they all claimed to have been born.

Hence the comment in my first post...

5. sunflower

I have been making notes of all the William Broom marriages with a spouse called Sarah as well as all the baptisms and burials of William Broom and Sarah Broom but haven't had time to sort them yet. I'm afraid my tax return is taking precedence today but will get back to it as soon as I can. Thanks again for pointing me in the 'right' direction.