1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Where was Mary?

Discussion in 'Migration and Travel' started by GrahamC, May 12, 2015.

1. GrahamC

GrahamC LostCousins Member

Mary Pike married my great grandfather Henry William Coward in Ballarat, Australia in 1882. She gave her parents' names as Christiana Hocking and John Pike (an exciseman) implying they were married. They were not.

Mary was born in St Columb Major, Cornwall in 1847. Her unmarried mother was Christiana Hawken. Her birth was registered as Mary Jane Hawken and she was christened as such a year later in the local Bible Christian Chapel. On 29 December 1850 her mother died of consumption.

In the the 1851 and 1861 censuses Mary Jane was living in St Columb with foster families although her name was given as Mary Jane Pike. In 1852 she was baptised again in the Anglican Parish Church, this time as Mary Jane Pike Hawken.

The big question is; Where was Mary between 1861 and 1882 and who was she with? We have two clues:
    1. Family legend has it that Mary was a “governess” for a wealthy family and travelled on the continent with them.
    2. I have a British Passport issued to “Miss Mary Pike” in 1874 at the embassy in Berne Switzerland.

Can anyone suggest where I might look to find out more?

2. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

This story seems very familiar to me, I'm sure I've seen questions about it before. I'll try and stretch the old grey cells and see if I can remember where, and get back to you if I do find anything.

3. GrahamC

I have raised a query about this same person before. However this is a new question.

4. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Yes, looking back I can see that Peter included it in one of his newsletters. Thanks for reminding me, I couldn't remember where I'd heard about it before and was getting frustrated that I couldn't remember! Sorry I can't offer you any more help....I presume you have already looked at passenger lists to see if she was travelling with others to Australia (or elewhere)?

5. GrahamC

Nope! Haven't found her in passenger lists. There are plenty of "M. Pike" and "Miss Pike" but any or none of them could be her. I have also contacted the British Embassy in Berne and received a reply from a very sympathetic lady who was unable to help.