1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

When DNA Says your Parents are related

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Mitch_in_Notts, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

I have just put my kit number into Gedmatch.
    The analysis indicates that my birth parents may be distantly related.
    Largest Segment = 12.5cM
    Total Segments > 7 cM = 12.5CM
    The relationship show up in Chromosome 18.

This is all beyond me. Can anyone explain the significance of the results - I have looked at the detail on the GedMatch page but, sorry it is too complex for me.
    I know the name of my birth Mother, I suspect through DNA matching who my Father might be, but how significant does the above result make the relationship between them?
    Does the above result explain why 96% of my matches on Ancestry DNA Side View are 'unassigned'

Thanks

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

See the chart in my Masterclass - they could be anything from 3rd cousins to 8th cousins, or more distant than that. Bearing in mind that we're all related when you go back far it doesn't tell you much that you didn't already know.