1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What's in a (Sur) name

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by Bob Spiers, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I'd guess Kerenheppuch
    (I've not checked the spelling, but they were the 3 named daughters of Job)

[And I *think* the modern day Karen is a Scandinavian version of Katherine]

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmm, sorry I was on another important Job :)

In the family I've narrowed it down to, she was the 4th daughter

If you want to see what I found, just highlight the space between the 2 brackets, i.e. left click and hold it down as you drag the cursor down to the 2nd bracket.
    [
    CARTWRIGHT, Jeremiah
    CARTWRIGHT, Ann
    CARTWRIGHT, Edward
    CARTWRIGHT, Zachariah
    CARTWRIGHT, Henry
    CARTWRIGHT, Sarah Ann
    CARTWRIGHT, Mary Ann
    CARTWRIGHT, Jemima
    CARTWRIGHT, Kerenhappuch
    CARTWRIGHT, Kezia
    CARTWRIGHT, Emma
    ]

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

You are right -Kerenhappuch (or hyphenated Keren-happuch). At the time I did my initial investigation I recall reading words to the effect"....with the hyphenation becoming common place it is believed to have led to the derivation of the modern day Karen....". But as I'm no authority on derivations will take a rain check (or is it cheque) on that.

Incidentally with his 3 daughters "and in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job (Job 4:15)" he broke all traditions of the time by granting his 3 daughters 'inheritance rights amount their brethren' (on a par with their brothers, an unheard of thing at that time). Quite a few Women Emancipation groups have latched onto that phrase including the American 'Jobs Daughters' organisation (probably now defunct)

4. Bob Spiers

More likely lying down on the Job!:p

Yes I guess there were a fair few families who named their daughters after the daughters of Job. I just felt sorry for the one who was named Kerenhappuch.

Job did have more than 3 daughters (names unknown)but he lost them, so God gave him 3 more..... Don't ask!

5. Bob Spiers

If you think Kerenhappuch leads the field for Biblical (or even unusual) based names, here are a few more contained in my own Tree and the one I research and manage for my wife. Surprisingly considering the Jewish influences in the names, neither of us is Jewish, or for that matter over concerned with religion of any persuasion. The name in capitals are those found in the Trees and all hail from the 19th Century.

ZIPPORAH (daughter of Reuel -aka Jethro) a Midianite Priest or Prince. Gave his daughter in Marriage to Moses (incidentally but not in my Tree Zipporah bore Moses two sons, Gershom & Eliezer)

BEZALEEL (or Bezalel) Son or Uri and grandson of Hur. Major player in Jewish History and concerned with the Ark of the Tabernacle.

RHESA Son of Zorobabel -the name means affection and is found in Luke 3.27

TRYPHENA One of twin sisters - the other was Tryphosa. Mentioned by St Paul (16:12)

Finally a break from Biblical and all of Italian origin and in the same family group:
    CELESTINA: CELESTINO; GRAZIA, NEDDA & SERGIO

That will suffice for now, but I will be back in due course to record some unusual surnames and their many Census corruptions. I may even have the record for the most corrupted surname, but no doubt others will challenge on that front. I will be back! (now who said that?)

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

How did you do that? I mean make text appear like that, magic !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tim

Well it wouldn't be magic if I told you, would it? :p

Maybe its the colour of the text that does it?

8. Bob Spiers

[You'll be kicked out of the magic circle for sure now]

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Tim

True, but they kept pinching my ideas anyway :)

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Wow! There are some boffins on this forum aren't there! :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Liberty

Yup - pretty scary, I reckon.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Bob Spiers

Here then as promised are examples in my Tree of surname corruptions and the 3 that gave me the most trouble

FENNELOW
    A Great x 2 Grandmother early widowed remarried a Fennellow. Here are some of the names I found when seeking him (and his family) prior to marriage, and both as a married couple.

Finnellon:Finnellow:Finellow:Finelow:Fendelow:Fineltone:Fineltore:Findlow:Fennely

I accept Fennellow is a quite unusual surname but what about my next candidate.

CUNNINGTON
    A Great Uncle named CUNNINGTON. You would have thought that surname quite reasonable to find, but oh no. Here are some of the variations found:

Cunningham:Connington:Cannington:Cammington:Carrington:Cummington
    Followed by two without the ‘ton’
    Cumming:Cunning
    And my favourite
    Cunnioton

All I can say is thank god for wild card searching. Once I locked on to searching as C*ing* most came to light. However Cunnioton gave me quite a run for my money and I passed up on Cumming & Cunning many times before finally taking a peek and finding the family.

TWAMLEY
    Twamley was the maiden name of my cousin’s mother. Although there were fewer corruptions, the trouble they caused when searching was every bit as problematic as those above.

Twamlow ( this occurred so many times that a small part of the family actually adopted this variation surname, and their descendants are so named today):
    Twamlon:Twembly:Twonby
    And to beat all
    Suamaton (Don’t ask but the original handwriting truly did look like Suamaton and I only discovered them by accident when researching a relative lodging with them)

I wouldn’t mind but down the line a Twamley married a Twycross and the strange thing was the Twycross name was never corrupted unlike its ‘Tw’ counterpart which was never recorded the same twice.

Well that’s it. I’ve given up claiming any record for name corruptions but simply record them as prime examples of what I call (and have written about elsewhere) ‘Chinese Whispers’. Where people who cannot themselves write pronounce their surnames and a scribe of sorts writes what he thinks he heard. And of course in the transcription of poor handwriting.

13. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

This is how FTA searches Ancestry for census records by passing a surname of both the Married and Maiden name to find either.

14. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Abu El Banat!!

15. Liberty

I think this term (father of daughters) is usually only used if there is an absence of sons (as was not the case with Job - after his trials were over, at any rate)

16. Bob Spiers

Correct: Job also had 7 sons and whilst counting, 14,000 sheep,6,000 camels,1,000 yoke of oxen and a 1,000 donkeys -and he lived to be 140.