1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What next after Ancestry?

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by palfamily, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes I did the same with my DNA related Tree and recently changed it back to my full (public) Tree. The results have been beneficial in several ways, not least navigating my way in Thru Lines and I am about to do the same with my wife's Tree. I also believe the public tree bit plays a large part also, and that will come as no surprise to many.

I am no fan of the My Heritage website (as many in the Forum will know) and my own DNA tests have all been with Ancestry. I did relax a little to upload data to test their DNA venture, and apart from an initial item or two of interest, things just fizzled out and had no desire to respond to their requests to load a tree and subscribe.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Why would you want to know what their estimate of your father's ethnicity is? Why not keep using the site to find cousins, just don't pay for something you definitely don't need and probably don't want?

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks for your replies. I did print off the Masterclass and follow it when searching for matches but should re read to see if I missed anything.
    My Heritage seem to interpret ethnicity slightly differently so I was interested. I have East Anglian which is no surprise as I have maternal and paternal ancestors from there. Dad does not have East Anglia, though he matches with descendants of his ancestors from East Anglia. I was curious to know what MH would say, although I realise it is not an exact science and shouldn't be taken too seriously, though mine seem accurate.
    I think it could be a good idea to add my new cousins to my computer based tree, then, as you say, I can add them to my collection on Lost Cousins.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I use my DNA results with my enormous tree, where I add everyone I can prove (and delete anyone I can't). It has helped enormously to find people and verify their links, because often I can just look at their tree and think, I know that surname - then go to my own tree and find that surname and locate the right person.

As I have said previously, I have the most success in results with family members with more diverse backgrounds - my paternal line, which has a lot of emigration - rather than my mother's, entirely English/Welsh history with little emigration until about 1900.
    For one example (I have been using Ancestry's new colour coding feature and adding results to "groups" according to the main family line they belong to), the largest groups I have identified so far include 29 DNA relatives from my main paternal line - most of which I have placed exactly in the tree, and 26 DNA relatives for my main Jewish line. On my grandmother's line, that main Jewish line jumps from 26 matches on my father's to 34 identified results.

5. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

ALL of my success has been with Ancestry. I also tested with FTDNA and after several years i have had no success whatsoever. My Heritage has given a few initial matches which I have managed to place, though nothing of note since then and a couple of matches placed via GEDMATCH. but the overwhelming majority have been with Ancestry. My ancestry is 100% English back to 5x gt grandparents and although I have a number of American DNA matches which I can't place, I have had amazing success with people both in the UK and elsewhere. I have no experience of Findmypast DNA to date.