1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What is Ancestry playing at now?

Discussion in 'Online family trees' started by At home in NZ, Dec 14, 2021.

1. I thought I was seeing things when I looked at one of the facts in a profile and saw this: (2 Media). It has been added to the end of the words that describe the Location.
    I used the Edit facility to delete it but it does not appear in the open version of the fact.

I find it utterly ridiculous as there is already an indicator that 2 media are attached to the fact.
    Just how much time is being wasted by developers who are duplicating information??

Fortunately the Location does not include (2 Media) in the description in FTM, after syncing.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I can honestly say I have no idea what your post is about, it may be me, and likely is but perhaps you will explain just what is bothering you, as it bothers me that I cannot make head of tail of your post. Sorry!

3. Try this:
    Whenever you add media to a Fact in Ancestry the program will display the number of media attached to the Fact at the bottom of the Fact in small type.
    Each Fact has a Location description, such as St Mary's Church, Someplace
    Ancestry is adding the number of media to the end of the description so it now looks like:
    St Mary's Church, Someplace (2 Media). in other words it is duplicating the info.

When you open the Fact in Edit mode the (2 Media) does not display.
    An example is attached.

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

They're differentiating between "source" and "media" on mine. (I had to go searching to find a fact which had "1 media" attached, since I don't tend to add media items to facts on my ancestry tree.)

I'm not particularly stressed about it.

I have not seen any examples of where it has been added to the fact itself.

5. So far, it is only doing it where there is more than one media item attached to the fact. I have some Facts that have 4 media items.

I think it's messy and unnecessary and a waste of a developer's time.

6. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

My sister in law is visiting and has just got onto her Ancestry tree and it has changed format since yesterday.
    She does not like it as she has a number of photgraphs of ancestors and the are now chopped off due to the new fancy design.
    She has messaged Ancestry to complain.
    I don't like the new format, but I don't have any ancestors with photos on Ancestry.
    I wondered what other people thought.

7. Bob Spiers

I agree about the new format and as someone who enjoys familiarity, undecided on whether the new 'prettied-up' interface is for the better. But it is not so much appearance as when they change routines - a bit like when Supermarkets change location layouts - you know the 'goods' still exist, you just have to set out to find them. I was bemused for a time when wanting to carry out an edit in a search routine. Before one clicked on 'EDIT' but now you are required to spot and click on a symbolic pencil. I just hope other changes are a simple to navigate as that.

But as for photos, I only have a handful of these on Ancestry, and all seem as before inset into the new 'white on dark' heading format. I don't have any group photos or such, so perhaps it is these that have changed.

8. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

The format of my tree still looks the same as before. How has it changed?

9. Katie Bee

The photos in the tree used to be rectangular, but now they are tear drop shape and the colouring has changed.
    Because the shape is now teardrop then it can hide some of the photo, so peoples chins disappear or the baby on someones knee is not visible anymore.
    When the person is clicked then the full photo is shown in its rectangular form.

10. I have looked at the family view, all photos are the same as they have always been.
    I have looked at a profile I know has several photos, they all look the same as they have always been.
    I have looked at the gallery for the whole tree and ditto.

11. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Thanks for the explanation. When I look at my tree through the Ancestry app on my phone or tablet I see this effect, but when I look at it on my computer - using Chrome browser, my normal method of viewing - the photos are still rectangular.

Happy Christmas!

12. Katie Bee

Thanks Helen. Yesterday I was using Chrome on a Chromebook, my sister in law was on an iPad, I didn't look on the computer until this morning and using Chrome and Firefox I get the teardrop styled family tree. It looks as if it is here to stay.

13. I use Chrome on a desktop, nothing has changed in any of my trees.

14. Bob Spiers

I can see the teardrop style photo miniaturised in Family Tree format, but once on the profile page the photo is rectangular as it always has been.

15. Katie Bee

Sister in law has just had a pop up welcoming her to the New Ancestry with improved family tree!

16. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Not rolled out to me yet.

17. Nor me, but when I google for New Ancestry or New Ancestry Update it's all about DNA updates. Therefore, am wondering if it's DNA trees that are affected?

18. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Might be, but I don't have any photos on my DNA tree.

19. Katie Bee

No, it looks like all trees. I have one linked to DNA and one not and they both show the teardrop format.
    You don't need photos to show the teardrop shape. All the male and female icons are now a teardrop shape.

20. All my trees have square icons and photos when I look at the whole tree in the Family View. When I select Family Group Sheet while in the Family View , the icons and photos are circular and nothing is missing. When I select a Profile from either the Family View or the Family Group Sheet the icons and photos are square.

As I do not use the Family Group Sheet I am not bothered. However I will be more than bothered if the photos change shape, bits are missing and it carries through to the sync with FTM.