1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What Fact Type do people use?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Tim, May 28, 2017.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I have a number of people in my tree that have been Knighted, awarded MBE etc, and not knowing where to put them at the time, I created a custom Fact called Honours.

I was wondering what other members do about this information? Do you use a specific Fact?

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have simply recorded such information within the Prefix/Title or Suffix to the name of the individual within GenoPro rather than create a custom fact.
    Further description/explanation is then added as a comment, if needed.

Perhaps I have been rather lazy but with only a few instances I have not felt that I needed to do more.

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I don't have any honoured people in my tree but my husband has, and he has likewise created a custom Fact called Honours.

4. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

I am not sure but I think there is a standard gedcom fact for 'Nobility Title' although I usually use the Prefix or Suffix to display the honour with their name and the fact is used for information such as data and place awarded and the reason for the honour. I also create a lot of custom facts for odd entries like Tax for any taxation records etc. Last week I proved a bigamous marriage and created a fact for it, it makes it easier to find in the future.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

A possible drawback to showing the honour as a prefix or suffix to the person's name is that it is then attached to them across their whole life and may therefore show up inappropriately in certain reports. Also, for a married woman, the honour will then be showing against her maiden name but may not have been received until after she had married.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tim

There is a Fact for Nobility Title, it's called TITL, or Title. However this doesn't work for OBE, MBE etc. It works for Lord, Lady, Dame etc.

7. Tim

Ok, so looks like most of us are a bit stuck with this, in the mean time I'll carry on with my custom Fact Honours, it's more versatile.

Thanks everyone for explaining what you do.