1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by At home in NZ, Apr 8, 2020.

1. I am having difficulty with a single entry in the 1911 UK census. On using the check arrow it could not find the corresponding census in FMP.

The person was at an hotel and there are several pages of people listed.

I looked at the FAQs to find out what to do, when I change the schedule number to 1 it finds the wrong census record in FMP. When I change the schedule number to 9999 it cannot find a census record in FMP.

Help please, thanks.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The advice to use 1 or 9999 only applies where there is no schedule number on the form - because the different forms which were used for large institutions didn't have a space for a schedule number. In fact they have a whole piece to themselves!

Where the standard form was used but there are continuation sheets it might be necessary to go back to the first page to find the schedule number.

In this particular case there are two numbers shown on the first page, and the one that corresponds with the Enumerator's List is 9. (You could also work out which one is correct by trial and error - unfortunately Ancestry don't seem to provide a link to the list from the schedule.)

3. I GIVE UP
    The property I am looking at is Bourne Hall Hotel, Bournemouth, Hampshire. Alice Grimwood is my ancestor.
    The first page for the hotel listing has a schedule number so I used that, FMP can't find it.
    The page with my ancestor in it has a schedule number which is 2 higher than the first page, so I used that, FMP can't find it.
    I searched for the head of the household in FMP hoping to be able to find her schedule number, when I click on view transcript I am asked to pay for the privilege.
    I have spent more than 30 minutes fiddling around, in and out of My Ancestors page, in and out of FMP, in and out of Ancestry. All for one person!
    Not happy....................

4. I have another mystery. Isobel Kate Farmer ref 851/91/38 in 1881 census. FMP cannot find her. I have compared the ref with what is in the Ancestry census which is the only way I can and it is correct.
    I did not manually add this person to my Ancestors, I used FTA.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

It looks as if the reference is incorrect. FMP finds the record (with ref 851/91/37) if the Page Number is removed. Note, the transcription at FMP shows the forename as Isabel.

6. 1. I do not understand what you are saying.
    2. I have no idea how to search FMP using reference numbers.
    3. The ref in Ancestry is what FTA used.

7. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I have contacted Find my Past and informed them that the page number is incorrect, Isabel is on page 37.

8. peter

I gave you the answer (9) in my previous post.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  9. peter

The only difference from a normal census search is which boxes you fill in on the Search form - though unfortunately you can't search the 1911 Census yourself because there is no longer a box on the Search form for the Schedule Number.

However, every time you click a grey arrow against an England & Wales census entry on your My Ancestors page it carries out a search at Findmypast using the references you've entered.

Note that you can only search using reference numbers when you search a specific record set, whether at Ancestry or Findmypast.

10. Bryman

1. Sorry. I was in a hurry and didn't realize that I needed to explain in more detail.
    When one clicks on the grey arrow to check the entered reference, the FMP page displayed shows the reference details on the left hand side. Those values can be modified or deleted by clicking on the pencil icon or cross alongside the appropriate entry. When the pencil is clicked, FMP displays the normal search panel and the desired reference can be entered lower down the page.

2. Use the method identified in 1 above.

3. Check the original document in Ancestry to make sure that the correct Page No (top-right or top-left of form) has been assigned for your reference.
    It does show Page 38 so it looks like FMP has the wrong reference recorded and should be informed.

11. Thank you Heather. I am unable to do that as I do not subscribe to FMP.

I didn't know anything about searching for reference numbers, I've never had to do it.

I didn't really understand what you meant so I took the first part of your answer and started looking at the pages. I have entered 9 and it works.
    Sorry to be so dumb and thanks for your help.

12. Bryman

The original census form and the Ancestry transcription show that the correct Page No is 38. Did you mean that Isabel should not be on Page 37?

13. peter

Reference numbers define a specific census page (sometimes a specific household or schedule), so it's the fastest way to find a census entry (and thus invaluable information for other people you may share your tree with).

It's the equivalent of recording the microfilm/microfiche reference when searching in a records office.

14. peter

All of the page 37 entries are incorrectly recorded as page 38.

15. Heather

Sorry what I meant to say was that FMP shows Isabel and family are transcribed as being on page 37, the whole family is on page 38 , plus 2 servants on page 39. I only let FMP know that the entry for Isabel is incorrect.

16. Heather

Sorry what I meant to say was that FMP shows Isabel and family are transcribed as being on page 37, the whole family is on page 38 , plus 2 servants on page 39. I only let FMP know that the entry for Isabel is incorrect.

17. peter

Sorry, my mistake, it's the other way round, all 25 of the page 38 entries are shown as page 37.