1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Victorian and Edwardian Photographs

Discussion in 'More London Resources' started by Jennie, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Victorian and Edwardian Photographs by Robert Vaughan
    This is the 2012 New Main Site (the original former site is still online) and is the only site that will be updated in future. I have not used any alternative to my laptop and I quote the website owner – “The ‘Text link and Descriptions' pages work very well on mobile devices showing the image at full screen size.”

An excellent source for dating old photographs with, it appears, "an up-to-date style to suit all".

One of the most useful tips I was once given is that although one may date a particular fashion to, for example, around the 1890s, in those times a large percentage of the population couldn't afford to stop wearing clothing just if it became unfashionable. It was also suggested to me that this could mean anything up to ten to fifteen years (or more) could be added to the date of when the style was popular, thus making it possibly as late as circa 1905. Then we have WW1 and WW2, times of great thriftiness and hardship and the life of garments was, again, extended. The wealthier classes could usually afford to wear more of the latest fashion styles but had to settle for 'inferior' fabrics etc.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jennie, a very useful site. Can be linked with sites giving named photographers' dates and places of work to narrow down a photo. Yes you are right about poor people not being able to discard hardwearing clothes for fashion, but a photo of a younger person particularly a woman will always be more likely to try to achieve a fashionable appearance, especially if the photo was, as it usually was, taken for a special occasion, before "snaps". And many young women had domestic and professional experience with their needles.