1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Updated trees on Ancestry

Discussion in 'Online family trees' started by Gillian, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Its been a while since I used Ancestry for any continuous research, particularly using their new format. I gave it the once (or twice over) and checked out some hints, but was not that impressed and noted what others had to say thinking I would probably go back to the old format when the time came to research in any depth. Then a fellow researcher friend (and a distant relative) -who I had invited to join LC - picked up on the invite and explained she would decline as interest in Genealogy had waned since her cousin - the prime researcher - had passed away.

I commiserated of course and she explained that their last research venture had led to an impasse on trying to trace a grx2 grandfather after 1840 or a death for that matter. Naturally I asked if I could help (to spark her own interest again) so she provided an outline of their problem and using my own Tree as a launch platform (where our paths crossed) I set about using the new Ancestry format. To my surprise after a week or more I find the new set up -give or take a few niggles - quite intuitive, providing hints galore to other Trees, BMD and other references which has saved me an awful lot of time. So for now I give it the thumbs up and before anyone suggests that I am ignoring FMP, I find that quite essential for corroborations and indeed to reveal new avenues. I have been unsuccessful with the core problem to date although have cleared up some inconsistencies in their research which largely stemmed from family hand me down histories. In turn they had the advantage of researching in their own city (Worcester) for their own Worcester ancestors and had 'walked-the-walk' exploring local research amenities. I shall stick with it of course.

In case lost in the narrative I should just say the purpose of the post overall was to say I am quite taken with Ancestry's updated site for now at least.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1