1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Unknown relations

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by John Dancy, Mar 17, 2023.

1. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

One of my latest 'cousin' matches is between one of my blood relatives and an 'unknown'. So maybe not a cousin? The transcribed name on FMP is given as "Robert Smith" - the actual surname is very different (but you can see why Smith was chosen) What is strange is that he is the head of the household, with his daughter and grandchildren listed below him, but none of these have been entered by my 'cousin' as they would also match with me. Is my 'cousin' just recording Smiths in the area in hope? Or can we just add everybody else in the 1881 census to our cousins as 'Unknown'? I have attempted to make contact so will wait and see

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The use of the 'unknown' relationship was discontinued about 15 years ago, and anyone who selects this relationship will see the warning "please choose a different relationship".

If this is the only shared entry then when you look at the My Contact page for the relationship you will see that the Match Rating is 0.

Note that some members only enter one person from each household (as a way of making better use of their limited time). Personally I enter every blood relative I can find in the 1881 Census - if two members each enter one relative from a household, but they choose a different person, the match will be missed.

3. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

Peter, thanks. If the 'cousins' entry has been around for more than fifteen years I suppose that the chance of a response to my contact message has declined somewhat. And like you, I enter all blood relatives and marriage partners, but no others.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Although members were asked not to use the 'unknown' relationship a long time ago, there is nothing to stop it being selected if the person concerned does not read the explanatory note, or decides to be awkward. So it could be more recent.