1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Unidentified Forum Error

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Bryman, Apr 11, 2020.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

We're running a very old (but stable) version of the forum software - there would be no point reporting issues to the developers unless they involved security or data loss. I decided not to upgrade because what we would gain would be counter-balanced by what we would lose.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Me thinks you doth protest too much. What part of "wait 59 seconds" needs explaining? It is what it is, caused by whatever action that triggered it. If I had a pound for every error message of its type encountered -or the computer going into 'hang' mode with no error message - I would be a rich man. They are all par for the course in computing caused by a myriad of gremlins, some external, some internal as you will know. Only if they repeat and become a nuisance is it worth seeking a reason and are able to provide a screen shot to assist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I am sorry Bob, it is just my professionalism showing through. The error message was incomplete and did not give any information as a result of poor coding. What is normally called a bug. When I find such an error, I normally try to report it in case there are further implications that the developer may wish to correct. I have no knowledge of who that might be nor any other circumstances that Peter has referred to. That is why I asked if he would pass the information on in my place, if he deemed it appropriate. It is always worth asking for an explanation if a message does not give the required information and it would be foolish to wait until multiple instances have occurred in case each causes untold damage. I did attempt to obtain a screen shot but for some unknown reason it was not forthcoming so I did my best to describe what was displayed instead.

The above description is my explanation of what I did and why. I have no wish to get into a more detailed argument about any aspect but will try to answer any questions that I think might help anyone trying to correct the error. However, memory of the circumstances is fading fast.

The "wait 59 seconds" was in addition to the error message (outside of the red box) and did not need any further explanation, although strange to be so precise.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1