1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Twins puzzle

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Helen7, Jun 7, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's Thomas Freer who appears in the baptism register, so you need to know whether anyone else has him in their tree.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I agree - three days ago at #59 you wrote:
    Then we seemed to be talking about the same thing.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, there are a handful of trees referring to the baptism of Thomas Freer in 1805, parents Thomas and Mary. However, these say he married Alice Broughton in Glapthorne, Northants in 1824. But there are far more trees (and seemingly better researched ones) reporting Alice Broughton's husband as the Thomas Freer baptised in 1799 in Great Easton to parents Robert and Sarah, so a different Thomas (who is also in my tree, incidentally, as a 1st cousin of James).

So there's nothing in the on-line trees featuring the 1805 baptism of Thomas, parents Thomas and Mary, to convince me that this child retained the name Thomas.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

On second thoughts, other than providing an opening for diversion, it was OK as an illustration.

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Or misplaced his glasses :rolleyes:

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Your comments about 'getting on' and 'getting it right' overlook people like myself who try to achieve both, even if owning to being a 'getting on' person first and foremost. So it has to be down to definition of how right is right and individual time codes.

In genealogical research we follow (whether we know it or not) 'Parkinson's Law', "Work expands to fill the time available for its completion". Those familiar with Cyril Northcote Parkinson's somewhat satirical book (which I read over 60 years ago just after it was published) and, from memory, recall him offering two alternatives about writing and posting a letter:

#1 A little old lady writing to her niece (looking for a writing pad, then her pen, and where did she put the ink (before biros), the same with stamps(in a drawer somewhere). Then taking time to compose and write her letter in neat handwriting. Finally putting on her hat, coat and gloves to go to the post box). The whole thing filling her day.

#2 A busy clerk/typist (before computers) in an office accomplishing the same thing and likely more in under an hour.

So it is for each of us. We spend whatever time we can allot to research using whatever resources are available (and often affordable) and do so to the best of our abilities. As long as the end result passes muster in our own minds, that is all that matters. If it falls short, we must leave and return to it later. 'Getting it right' and 'Getting on' are just individual matters of degree.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Bob, rest assured it was not my intention to suggest that either approach was more 'right' or 'wrong', or to try and compartmentalise anyone. As you say, most of us will seek an appropriate balance between the two as works best for us as individuals.

The point I was responding to was about making effective use of our time which, because I see family history purely as a hobby, I tend not to worry about very much. I'm very happy to spend time checking out something that to others may seem unnecessary because I enjoy doing it, and find it can reveal all kinds of interesting things in the process. So to me it doesn't really matter that much if time thus spent doesn't result in any immediate advancement of my tree, what matters is that I enjoyed doing it.

One way or another, my tree has been growing steadily over the last 30+ years and researching has given me a lot of pleasure over that time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2