1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Tithe maps and Schedules

Discussion in 'More Resources' started by Glenys Travis, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Glenys Travis

Glenys Travis Member

Tithe maps and Schedules provide the names of owners and occupiers of land. That can be helpful where for example. parts of the 1841 Census are missing, and in any event with information about where people lived. I located a farm on the boundaries of two parishes that explained why both churches were frequented by my ancestors.

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Can these maps and schedules be viewed online. If so can you add a link into your post please. If you are unsure how to do this just reply with the link and I'll add it in to your original post for you.

3. Glenys Travis

Glenys Travis Member

And two years later I reply - I don't think so, yet, though there is a project in hand by Archive Wales. I saw the papers at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.

4. DavidP

DavidP LostCousins Member

The Genealogist site is adding these maps - gradually. (I think I saw a posting here about it recently. In fact, just today they have posted the following news item: "A major addition to the National Tithe Records has just been launched. Joining the previously released maps for Middlesex, Surrey, Buckinghamshire and Leicestershire, are the counties of Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Lancashire, Oxfordshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire & Yorkshire."

Ah! I see Yorkshire is now there, so must away and see where my gg grandfather's land was!

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Also see my newsletter articles from 5th April 2014 and 13th February 2015 (the latter issue also featues a discount offer for The Genealogist). The new counties will be reported in my next newsletter - hopefully out tomorrow, assuming some show photos arrive (I wasn't allowed to mention them in last week's issue because they wanted to make the announcement at WDYTYA Live).

6. DavidP

I think I was too quick off the mark as my ancestors' maps are not appearing. Drat! I was over in the UK last year and I think my gg grandfather's house has been demolished to make way for a link road. (I'm using the family's location in the Census sheets to estimate where it would have been and am hoping the Tithe Maps may help to pinpoint the site.) More patience required....:confused:. Deep breaths.

7. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I looked at a tithe map in the Essex Record office in the hope that my husbands ancestors properties may have been on it, but it was a photocopy of the original and I could not make anything out, so no help there.

8. DavidP

Hi CarolB

Just had a look at The Genealogist site and they only cover the following counties (so far) "Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Lancashire, Oxfordshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire & Yorkshire." From what they are saying that is all they are doing this year. They do have the Tithe Apportioment records there for Essex, but no maps. If you like, I could have a quick look and see the Tithe records for your ancestors are there. I know it's not much help to you, but I did find some useful info about my ancestors on that site - at least I think it was my ancestors - too many John's, Richard's and William's and as the records were from around the late 1830's and early 1840's, it's not all that easy to pin the people down to a particular family in the 1841 census. However, I may have found an incorrect assumption in my tree that I made a couple of years ago.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Hi David thanks for the offer but the record office did have the written schedules to so I was able to check those, but it would have been nice to be able to make out the names of the roads where I knew they had lived.