1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The oldest marriage certificate

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Pauline, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Following on from what Peter wrote in the latest newsletter about the oldest marriage certificate, I have copies of some similarly old certificates relating to some of my ancestors.

The certificates themselves are dated 1819 so not quite as old as the one shown in the newsletter, but they relate to a baptism in 1775, a marriage in 1795 and a burial in 1818. The originals are at the LMA and I think copyright restrictions might prevent me reproducing them here.

Interestingly, there is an error on the 1818 burial certificate, with the year given as 1813 rather than 1818. The year in the original register is unclear, but I'm pretty sure it was 1818, not least because it was in the register between 1817 and 1819!

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's interesting - why do the London Metropolitan Archives have those certificates? Is it in connection with probate?

3. Pauline

Sort of - they were amongst the records of some solicitors who acted for the Manor of Colham (near Hillingdon) and it was about confirming who was next legally entitled to hold some property, the current holder having recently died.

4. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

The oldest I have is from my 5 X Great Grandparents, from 1774. The best view is at http://www.freshford.com/grist1.htm the family tree below the image does contain errors but cannot be updated as the site manager has abandoned it. The site does however have a wealth of historical data on Wiltshire.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Many marriage licences have survived - they were retained in case the declarations later proved false. The sums of money pledged were always large, and sometimes enormous.

6. Pauline

Yes, I have copies of lots of old marriage licences, but as you say, old certificates are much less common.

I remembered later that there was a 4th certificate with the 3 I mentioned above - for a baptism in 1797.