1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Kiss of Death

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Dec 11, 2020.

1. On examining the marriage register in the newsletter, I see Maria's father's last name is not Death it is Langham, yet Maria is described as a spinster.
    Susan who drew attention to this marriage may know why Maria's name does not match her father's.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I imagine William was her stepfather.

3. So did I but it would be nice to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Maria's father, Joseph Death, died in 1847, was buried on 1 Jan 1848. William Langham was her maternal grandfather, not her stepfather. Both he and her mother, Eliza Death, were witnesses to the marriage. I was wondering how unusual it was for a grandfather to be named in place of a deceased father in a marriage register - I hadn't come across it before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have come across it a few times, when the person getting married was illegitimate and trying to avoid appearing so.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. peter

My guess is that when the vicar asked "father's name?" it was the mother who responded - Maria's elder sister Eliza gave the correct name when she married in 1853, although her father was already dead in 1851 (the mother may not have been present at Eliza's wedding - she certainly wasn't a witness). These sorts of errors are more common in early birth registrations, as the curt question "mother's maiden name?" is ambiguous.
    That's not necessarily the reason - many illegitimate children were brought up by their grandparents, and may not have known they were adopted. I read this week of a daughter who wasn't allowed to marry because the adoptive parents were worried that her intended husband, because of his profession, would discover that she was adopted.

7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, I completely agree. However, with the marriages I was thinking of here I happen to know this wasn't the case.

8. peter

Given the scope for confusion, and the fact that there are many cases where genuine mistakes were made, it must surely be difficult to know for certain what someone's motive was? Just because the facts are consistent with a particular hypothesis doesn't necessarily meant that it is true - sometimes there is more than one possible solution.

Of course, if the individual concerned has also knocked 10 years off their age, it doesn't do much for their credibility....

9. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I also have an illegitimate relative who named her maternal grandfather as her father on her marriage certificate. She wasn't brought up by her grandparents, as her mother married when she was a young child and she grew up living with her mother and stepfather some miles away from her grandparents. However, she doesn't appear to have had a daughterly relationship with her stepfather. On the 1851 census, aged 8, her relationship with him is given as 'Daughter in Law' and under Occupation, it has 'Wife's Illegitimate Child', which I find quite sad. Not surprisingly, by the following census, she had left home to work as a live-in housemaid in another town.

10. i agree, and I think it was very cruel.

• Agree Agree x 2