1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Interesting Case of the ThruLines

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by jorghes, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Heatherblether

Heatherblether LostCousins Member

Is it only trees or is it also dna matching segments? I only ask as 1001 trees have added a sister with husband and children (same name but born in a different parish etc etc) to my 3xgr grandfather - whilst I dna match to 2 descendants of other siblings, why nothing to the wrong trees . I know there are dna matches to each other ( we saw that during a glitch) and I certainly do not want them on my thulines - I am interested in the trees theory. Must be something else in the algorithm??

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

It may be me, and likely is, but I do not understand the point(s) you are making, other than (perhaps) the question... are Thrulines based solely on 'other' Trees or on DNA or perhaps both? The answer to that is Thrulines are based on other 'Tree Comparisons'. Period!

Which leads to the conclusion (and pretty well known to serious researchers) that because there are some 'Mickey Mouse' Trees on Ancestry, some Thruline matching will be spurious, and others all shades between. The algorithm does what it is tasked to do and cannot by definition judge between the 'good, bad and ugly'. Perhaps it should and perhaps later it will, but for now it is what it is. In the meantime you have to be Judge and Jury on what is being offered, or you can - as I know others do - just disregard them.

If that misses the point of your posting, Sorry. Others will I am sure read more into your posting and respond accordingly.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's true, but the aim of ThruLines is to hypothesise how you might be connected to your DNA cousins. So there should be someone at or near the top who is a DNA match.

4. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Thrulines, surely, always connects two DNA matches? Each person in the path between could, theoretically, come from a different tree (yes, I have had three consecutive people shown as from different trees) - my experience is that portions of three/four trees is not unusual.

The one thing I do not yet understand is why Thrulines gives me a connection via one "common ancestor" (so a half cousin), but uses my tree for all of my side and half of the other side of the link :eek: .

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Indeed, and sometimes one of the links will be an entry from a searchable private tree.