1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Churches of Britain & Ireland

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by FamilyHistoryGal, May 2, 2014.

1. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

I love church websites. Its great to see where our ancestors/relatives were baptised, married or buried without the necessity of travel.

The Churches of Britain & Ireland

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Cathy's thread on locating churches plus this thread cover most cases, but has anyone found a way of locating where demolished/fallen down churches were/are located?

As an example, I have a reference to "St Teilo's Church, Morriston - Parish of Llangyfelach" from early 1944, but have not been able to find it - though the West Glamorgan Archives have "Confirmation" lists for the late 30's-early 40's. The existing St Teilo on the Clase doesn't show on the National Library for Scotland mapping for the Trewyddfa Fach area up to 1961 and I can only find one unknown church near the family residence in Trewyddfa Road on the 1937-61 series maps, located here on Streetmap, now a wooded area.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I couldn't find a general guide but I did find this article which mentions a link to an old document that states the church had two coracles that were used to get people across the river to the Hendy side and the original article states that the church was beside the River Loughor.
    The location is suggested by
    Which leaves me to thing the church was in this area. Does that at all match up with what you were expecting? Its further out than your streetmap suggests I note.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. PhilGee

Llandeilo-Talybont is a parish to the west of Llangyfelach parish, as shown on the GENUKI map, whereas Morriston is alongside the mid-point of the Llangyfelach boundary with Llansamlet - thanks for trying!

There were three (CiW) churches within Morriston, St David (now Morriston parish church), St John (now derelict) and St Teilo (disappeared!).

Phil

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Hmm ok well St.Teilo is listed on the Church in Wales website. Is that the one?

6. PhilGee

That's the church known as "St Teilo on the Clase" which was built to serve the (then new) Clase housing estate, which was built after WW2 - so not a candidate, unfortunately.

Phil

7. PhilGee

Update: Using the Old-Maps website, St Teilo on the Clase would have been built between 1956 and 1962.

Phil

Just missed the 10minute edit deadline!!!!