1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Taxi Drivers - early 1900s

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by Linda2, May 9, 2020.

1. Linda2

Linda2 New Member

On his death certificate in 1928 my grandfather, Thomas Chambers, is described as a 'Motor Cab Driver'. In 1912, on the marriage certificate to my grandmother, Minnie Lowe nee Pettifer, he gives his occupation as 'Taxi Driver'. From the marriage certificate I know he would have been born in 1869/70 but have been unable to find a definite birth entry for him as there are several entries during the relevant period for the name Thomas Chambers. The closest I have come on a census return to finding him is a possible entry in the 1901 census showing a Thomas Chambers aged 31, born in Camberwell, London and giving his occupation as 'Mail Driver'. The address was 185 Old Street, Shoreditch where he was a boarder.
    I have been unable to find any information about taxi drivers at the turn of the last century. There don't appear to be any records kept. I've been to the Westminster City Archives and searched at FMP with no success.
    I don't know where to go from here and any tips would be welcome.

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Linda2, so I see from Thomas and Minnie's marriage that Thomas's father was a Thomas Chambers, clerk (dec) have you tried to find your grandfather in census records prior to his marriage in 1912? There is a Thomas Chambers in the 1911 census, in Paddington born abt 1869 in Paddington, described as a Motor Cab Driver, but he is with a Maria Chambers 56 years old, described as married against her name and very faintly shown as "wife" to Thomas "head".

Street address: 92 Great Western Road, Westbourne Park, W
    Registration district: Paddington
    Registration District Number: 1
    Sub-registration district: Paddington Central
    ED, institution, or vessel: 06
    Piece: 46

3. Heather

Post Script: Thomas or Minnie do not appear to be living at the address on the marriage certificate, 64 Amberley Road in 1911.

4. Linda2

Linda2 New Member

Thank you Heather. I've been having a look at the 1911 census details you told me about. and trying to find out some more information about this couple. It's a pity the 1911 census document wasn't completed properly with number of years married as I've been unable to find the marriage of Thomas Chambers and Mari (or Marie, or Maria or Mary). On the marriage certificate to Minnie, Thomas is described as 'bachelor'. By the way, Minnie was a widow with 6 children so he took on a large ready-made family! I've also checked the 64 Amberley Road address before. I've been there and taken a photograph. It's a large, very nice-looking house now but in 1911 was in multi occupation with most families only having a couple of rooms. It's also not very far from Cirencester Street where Minnie was living in 1911 and later when my father was born in 1915. I have no idea why the Amberley Road address appears on the marriage certificate.

5. Heather

So Linda have you tried to find your grandfather in census records prior to his marriage in 1912? If so what have you found?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2020