1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Sugar Boiler

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by Carla, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

In the 1911 census my g grandfather's occupation was a Sugar Boiler. I know that previous generations also did the same, and my grandfather was a confectioner/seller of confectionery. I have been fortunate to have contact with my father's cousin who is in his eighties and we regularly write letters to each other. He has told me stories of how our family used to make toffees in the shed at the back of their yard in London, wrap them up and sell them down at the local dog track. The family were very well known for this and the sweets were popular. How sad that the local legend that our family invented the Mar's Bar turned out to be unfounded! (My maiden name is Martin). :rolleyes:

2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I heard somewhere that Matt Busby got entered on a census as 'Fruit boiler' becuase the official couldn't believe that 'Footballer' was what anyone did for a living.

3. Carol

Carol Member

Did your Sugar Boiler work at Tate & Lyles?
    There were some books published a few years ago on German bakers and sugar production

4. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Hi Carol. My relatives had their own business in their back yard, apparently! They used to make toffees and sell them. My second cousin who is 87 told me that but i have just had a thought. Did anyone with a business like that have to register it, or could they just set up like that? They were well known and in censuses previous and subsequent ancestors were called confectioners. My grandfather was a confectioner's representative 'quote'. I never thought to find out about businesses in the Spitalfields area. The only thing my second cousin has is a small metal plaque which simply says Martin which my g grandfather used to place by his toffees. For a generation my ancestors went back to New York and i suppose it is possible the business was started there? Still this is supposition so i think i may try to find out more about the 'business'.

5. Carol

Carol Member

Have you checked the Kelly's directories?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I have trawled few the directory, Carol, but probably could do with being more careful and thorough. I have a week off work at the end of Aoril and all this is on my list of things to do :D