1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Successful meetings with lost cousins

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by brickwall, May 16, 2013.

1. brickwall

brickwall Member

I have met about 25 'lost' cousins in recent years . About 20 of these were not just 'lost' - I was entirely unaware of their existence before starting my researches. The others were of lines I knew about but our families had lost contact 50- 80 years ago. All the meetings have been successful, and it has been fascinating to meet people with such varied lives and experience many of whom had documents and photos ,relevant to our mutual lines,which were new to me. In turn I was able to give them much new material and information - it's important to ensure the benefit is two-way, and that everyone feels confident that the information which is being shared will not be mis-used. All of the meetings were in the UK , but in many cases while the 'lost cousin ' was visiting the UK from New Zealand , Australia , USA and elsewhere.
    Without a contact I made through the 'Lost Cousins' website , I would not have met 11 out of the 25 lost cousins. It took some time before I got that contact through Lost Cousins but it came eventually and was very fruitful, so I'm very appreciative of Peter's website .

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thank you - and congratulations on meeting so many new cousins!

3. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

I have tracked down hitherto unknown Lost Cousins in England and had a hilarious and profitable meeting with them, but have failed to find those who I'm sure are there in Canada in British Columbia, but records available to the public are not so helpful in BC as they are in GB. Obituaries and funeral notices have given me the names of my father's unknown cousiuns and the name of the husband of the female one. (I'll check that Great Aunt Minnie's husband's family is in the 1881 census, because he was already in Canada in 1911 and they married in 1917). Can anyone who has managed it give me some hints? Great aunt Minnie Cox is already entered in My Ancestors for 1911