1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Storing my digital records

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by PoTTerTea, Sep 22, 2015.

1. PoTTerTea

PoTTerTea LostCousins Member

I have 13 years of BMD - Census - Parish - Newpaper - Photo - Video - Notepads and the list goes on of all the records I have collected every year I have to get a bigger HDD, I am worried that I could easily lose this if the HDD malfunctions so I have copies on other HDD and DVDs would anyone have any methods I could use to make sure my files are safe?

Any help would be of great help.

Kind Regards,
    Tom.

2. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

I don't think there is anywhere completely safe. Using HDDs is a good idea, but then we have to remember that such media gets outdated so we have to make sure we keep up with the newest stuff. SSHD seems to be the latest...
    Next thing is that a copy has to be kept somewhere else. If the house/office whatever burns down we need those years of research to be preserved.

Then there is cloud storage. Maybe a good idea, but wuala - which I thought was a very reliable service, has recently announced that it it closing down, and all users are urged to remove their files.

Looks like there is no completely 'safe' place. I use the 'belt and braces' system and keep a copy with me at all times, have an extra copy on another machine and use a cloudstore.;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. PoTTerTea

PoTTerTea LostCousins Member

Thanks Patzy for all your help

Kind Regards,
    Tom