1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

St. Augustine's, Canterbury

Discussion in 'Kent' started by Margery, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I have just discovered that my husband's 3xG Grandfather, James BENT was convicted at St. Augustine's, Canterbury on 15 April, 1825 to 7 years imprisonment for stealing lead. He served 4 years, 8 months and 16 days of the sentence. He was confined on board the hulk Retribution at Sheerness.
    Has anyone successfully searched the court records for St Augustine's and if so, how? His Gaol Report states "twice before committed to this gaol". I would be very interested to follow this up.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Maid of Kent

Maid of Kent Member

Thought I'd found a link but it is, of course, at either FindMyPast or Ancestry. I couldn't find it on Ancestry but it could be on the other.

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

FindMyPast shows the record for James Bent convicted at St Augustines Canterbury in its 'Crime,Prisons & Punshiment' (1770-1934) Section. The National Archives reference is HO17/73 and the original Record is exactly as Margery shows. FMP also has Hulk Registers but not for Retribution: Hardy, Antelope,Euryalus & Bellerophon only.

4. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

And what interests me, Bob, is the notation "twice before committed to this gaol". There is reference on his convict record to both the Lead conviction and to poaching but I wonder what the other was? I also wonder how he had the opportunity to father 8 children seeing that he was "away" so often? (It seems that one, possibly two were conceived while he was on the Retribution, he did, however, recognise them as his!).