1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Some members are not following the instructions....

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Marguerite, May 29, 2014.

1. Marguerite

Marguerite LostCousins Member

I am sorry but whenever I see the banner "Some members are not following the instructions... or whatever" I think "what on earth am I going to do wrongly".

Is it not possible to gently approach the "wrongdoers" personally and advise them how to correctly post their queries, information, etc.?

To make sure I do not suffer from nightmares regarding this, I would appreciate it being done where and when one errs - this way we can all learn.

Otherwise it is like a Damoklesschwert hanging over us and I shiver whenever I see the message:D

Gillian

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

If you look at the right hand side of the message there is a little cross that you can click that will dismiss the message. This acknowledges you have seen it and ensures you don't get bugged with it again.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  3. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Thank you Gillian/Marguerite for asking this! And thank you Alexander for answering it. I'll click the cross next time I see it!

Polite query - why is your Sword of Damocles a German one? I only ask......

4. Marguerite

Thank you so much, I can now sleep more easily:)

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Everyone receives that Banner when they join. It has a link in it to take you to a note on how to create links.

After you've read the note, as Alexander says, you can dismiss the message by clicking on the cross in the banner itself.

6. Marguerite

Hi,

Because I am lazy. I have lived in the German part of Switzerland for many years now and couldn't be bothered to look up how to spell it in English!! But obviously you can speak German. When I attended school, although German was previously in the curriculum in 1947 it was not an issue!!

Strangely enough, I only live about 4 hours' drive from where my great grandparents lived although I only found this out a few years' ago.

7. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

I'll add my thanks for the question and the answer. It was beginning to get on my nerves a bit. I wish it had been plainer how to get rid of it before . . .

8. Alexander Bisset

Perhaps we can ask Peter to add a banner message telling users how to get rid of banner messages?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Lol, that would be useful!! Or they could just read the FAQ that we painstakingly put together? :rolleyes:

10. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Presumably, I am the person who needs this message. There is no cross that I can see so I am not able to disable the message display. :(

I assumed that the message was there for new members so have learned to disregard it and treat it as just part of the furniture.
    Now that I seem to have been singled out for special treatment, I am getting worried. :eek: What next?

11. Alexander Bisset

Click on the blue bar a little grey cross will appear top right of the bar click the grey cross to make message disappear.

I think Peter definitely needs to add this as a message as otherwise the effect of a new highlighted message is lost if users are learning to tune out anything that flashes up top..

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've added a note to the Welcome message which all new members see.