1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

SideView

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

'By parent BETA' is back on on mine now but not on my Mums - so at least that is 2 out of 3 !

2. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

By Parent Beta is now back on my Mums, with one new Maternal match. I thought these figures were only going to be updated once a month from something Peter had posted before?

3. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

As I understand it, Ancestry implement SideView by feeding your DNA and all your "distant" matches into their IBDphase processing. That produces a single phasing solution for your whole genome, with all the paired DNA labelled with which side came from the same parent (1 or 2) throughout. The proofs of its operation are based on using all the matches in IBDphase and then labelling them using its results. An update, said to be monthly, involves repeating this with any new matches included.

So what do they do with a new match (i.e. a new test) that turns up before the next update? They might hold them all back and not show you them at all until then, or label them as not having SideView available yet. But I think they just use the results from the last full run of IBDphase, and it's very unlikely it will be wrong.

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I did not understand one word (well perhaps one but that was about all) of your posting and wonder if you are a practitioner of Double Dutch. I dislike intensely (and often say so when I come across DNA or Covid) pseudo scientific jargon. Remember 'the cat sat on the mat' is all that is necessary to relate that a 'Felis catus of the Felidae family resided on a Persian carpet'. Remember KISS (keep it simple stupid).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stuart

That's a bit of a problem - I'd already taken out all the technical terms except genome and phasing. And there are two of Ancestry's names, one branding and one for computing internals. Those are all hard to remove, given the subject being talked about, though might be explained.

But it is still complicated, intentionally so: I left the reasoning in, to see if anyone else had a different understanding. It's probably as well I didn't simplify it to just a statement about what an update does and what can be done with a match in between, as that would have been wrong ... see next post.

6. Stuart

I've been updated (yesterday)! And the effect is not what I expected; new numbers are:
    P1 (M) 6005 - down 1
    P2 (P) 10,189 -up 1
    NA 4,860 up 82 (yesterday)

The unassigned count has gone up by eight more today, as might be expected. And the P2 count today has gone back to 10,188! That's hardly of great importance, and might be my mistake, but it's still odd if true.

I was expecting new matches to be assigned in similar proportions to the existing ones, but clearly that's no happened.

Having more matches when the process is repeated will, in general terms, produce a phasing solution covering more of your DNA. But I expect that to happen in steps, with a jump in coverage only occasionally; most times there would be no change. My matches went up by only 0.4% this month, so seeing no progress in assigning the unassigned matches is not a surprise.

7. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I'm waiting to see what Ancestry do with my one anomaly. A 3C via my paternal grandmother is listed as "maternal", with three (paternal) "unknown" (all > 147cM and 9 or 10 segments) and three "paternal" shared matches :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2022
  8. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My maternal went down by 2, paternal stayed the same. Unassigned are up 83.

9. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Oh, I have no clue how many new matches I have or how my total assignments have, or haven't, changed. I'd only notice for sure if I got a new '4th cousin or closer' match because I look out for those daily. Every so often I look at 'unviewed matches' to see if there's any of interest below the 20 cM mark. I would notice if an assignment changed on a close match or one where I was hoping they'd go from 'unassigned' to something potentially more helpful.

How do you all know these things, do you keep a record of all the numbers? Isn't that very time-consuming?

10. Stuart

In this case, it's just a matter of recording the numbers of P1/P2/NA matches off the "By Parent" page after an update (or the fist time). I did it in a post here!

It's just occurred to me that occasionally a match might disappear if the test result is deleted. You'd not notice unless you are keeping track, or it was an important match to you.

11. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

OK, I guess that wouldn't be too onerous. I'll have a think where would be best to put the info, so I can easily check for any changes. I have had matches disappear and reappear, which can be disconcerting, but just having the totals wouldn't necessarily highlight that?

12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

As I understand it they label them as not available.

13. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Finally, I now have this feature in my account. Pauline and Kirsten, has it now been rolled out to you too?

14. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Just checked again, and no, we still don’t have it.

15. peter

I've got it back - not sure when that happened.

16. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I did not keep track at the beginning, but when someone else mentioned that his had changed, I went back and looked at what I had posted previously; now I have it written in my notes app on my phone. I also have my Summary totals from the website, and the ethnicity information so I can see how my matches have changed. When my DNA was originally logged, I had Irish but now have none. Not surprising, since everyone so far in my tree is from the U.K. (or Canada).

17. Pauline

….. while some of us have never had it to lose!

Maybe when (if?) the Chromosome painter decides to make an appearance in our account, while not of itself worth shouting about, it’ll be a sign that this feature might be next.

18. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

The Chromosome painter appears for me through the following process: click on "By parent", then on the right hand side click "View more" on the ethnicity inheritance. Then the Chromosome painter in Beta appears last on menu/options on the right hand side of the subsequent page - I had to scroll down to find it.

19. peter

Pauline, all 25 of the tests I manage or have access to are included in the 'By parent BETA'. You are REALLY unlucky!

But I guess you knew that......

20. Pauline

I had to set up a free guest account for my sister's DNA test, and I can see both the Chromosome Painter and the "By parent" via that account, but not via my own subscriber account. Until I checked my sister's free account, I had wondered if I'd been looking in the wrong place for the Chromosome Painter, but no, I just don't have it yet.

I could use my sister's account to view my own DNA results with these two features, albeit without the benefits of a subscriber account, but for now I've just been looking at her results to see them by parent.