1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Shared Maps on Living DNA??

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Sue_3, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

I got an email today announcing this new feature, however i am unable to find it on Living DNA.

I am wondering if it is something only available to those who have tested with them, rather than uploading a DNA file from elsewhere, as I did?

Or maybe I have just missed how to find it?

Does anyone know what this new feature is meant to reveal, or how it works??

I could post info from the email I received, but fear this may transgress the rules here?

TIA for any advice.

Sue

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

You have to turn this new feature on, which is essentially giving permission for your relatives to see your autosomal map. To find out more, select Help and then Support and then search on Shared Maps. This tells you where and how to turn this feature on.

Then when you open up the details on one your relatives you will see a Shared Map tab, but unless the relative has also turned this feature on, that's as far as you will get. As yet I haven't found a relative who has turned the feature on, but I have only tried a few so far.

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I've now found a relative who has turned this feature on and I get to see a map, which I think is showing the regions where our DNA indicates we share origins

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Thank you very much for that, however, when I follow the instructions and get to the place to click 'Map' to chose whether to display, it says 'This profile needs the recent ancestry upgrade to share its map'.

I've now found out where the 'Recent Ancestry' upgrade is, and they want £29 for that. So, I don't think I'll be getting that in the near future as I have other, more pressing, demands on my ££!

I suspect it wouldn't help me very much ... but happy to be advised otherwise if I am missing something that would actually be useful?

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

So it sounds like this feature is only free if you tested with LivingDNA, which it so happens I did. It didn’t strike me as being worth the upgrade cost you quote, especially as it depends on your matches turning it on as well, which for some will mean them also paying for the upgrade first.

But that’s just my opinion - others may differ!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1