1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Second wives

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by CarolB08, May 15, 2018.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I have what is probably a very dumb question, but my Grandfather married twice, my family tree maker programme has his first wife as my Grandmother but his second wife is listed as wife of maternal Grandfather, now to me she was my Nanna and I would list her as a direct relative on my ancestors page, but if family tree maker is to be believed she should be down as relative by marriage. Which would be correct at lost cousins?
    Also to add more confusion to this question, on the 1911 census my Grandfather and Nanna have his second wife staying with them she is listed as a visitor yet 24 years later she would be his wife. I would have loved to know how that one panned out.
    Thank you .

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Well I think FTM has it correct. The second wife is only related to you by marriage, you have none of her blood.
    So your Grandfather and 1st wife would get the Ahnentafel numbers, and the as of yet unmarried 2nd wife to be would get Marriage.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's a question of which one was your genetic grandmother. My father married twice, and both my grandfathers married twice - all lost their wives before their time.

I'm descended from my father's first wife, and his father's first wife, but from the 2nd wife of my maternal grandfather. They're the ones who are shown as my direct ancestors - the other wives are only related to me by marriage.

4. CarolB08

There's the rub and this raises a whole new question to :( my Mother was adopted at age 10, the only reason I know this is from a copy of her baptism certificate that says her Parents were her adoptive Parents. Now to the best of my knowledge she never had a copy of her birth certificate, we never found one when she died and we cleared the house. So I do not know whether she was informally adopted or officially adopted.
    My Brother is convinced that my Grandfathers second wife is really her Mother but we have no proof of this at all, so for now his first wife is recorded as my Grandmother.
    This brings me to my next question and maybe this is the wrong place to be asking this but given that my Grandfather is her adopted Father should all my ancestors in all the censuses be recorded as adoptive relatives?

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I guess this is that fine line between genetics dictating who your biological family is and the family that brought you up.

To me, the family that brought you up are your family. They are the ones the adopted person has interacted with their whole life.

I think, and Peter will correct me, that Lost Cousins will allow you to enter both set of parents (if known) as direct ancestors. However there maybe issues (possible not) if you were to give them both the same ahnentafel numbers.1

This situation must get even worse for children of same sex marriages! :confused::eek:

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. CarolB08

Thank you for this helpful reply Tim, it confirms my own thoughts on the subject but I thought I would just ask to be sure :)

7. peter

Please do not enter someone as a blood relative or a direct ancestor if in reality they're only related to you by adoption.

8. CarolB08

Peter, can I just clarify this for myself and others ? My Mother was adopted (not sure if formally or informally) by her "Father" my Grandfather Alfred George Tracey in 1927 at the moment he and all his ancestors are entered as direct or blood relatives on my lost cousins page, should I now go and change all of them to adoption? Including those linked to my family by marriage?

9. peter

If I were you I'd wait and see what you learn from your DNA test - a lot of adoptions involved family members. But if it turns out that there is no blood connection between Alfred George Tracey and your mother then you would have to change the entries on your My Ancestors page.

However there is another option - if you are in touch with a descendant of Alfred George Tracy or one of his full siblings you could copy your mother's adoptive relatives to a new account in their name (assuming you have their permission, of course).

10. CarolB08

Thank you Peter, I will do that. Family legend has it that my Grandfather refused to give her away at her wedding :) her Uncle, his brother did it instead.