1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Searching for business records, tips needed

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Britjan, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Not sure if this where the discussion belongs but I'd like to document some of the businesses my father ( in the UK) and a few earlier generations (in UK and elsewhere, mainly Canada) were involved in.

Since my father died in the 1950's when I was a teenager (and an only child) my memories are very murky and there is nobody around to ask. Before deciding to invest money in my search I'd like to be sure I've exhausted free databases. I've had some luck at The London Gazette with liquidation notices but I'd appreciate some other tips.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Newspapers and directories are a great source. It's also worth finding out what happens to the Companies House records of defunct limited companies (and please let the rest of us know when you find out!).

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Didn't expect your advice to be one bit dangerous Peter!:) I was glad however I wasn't nearby Companies House Cardiff on Friday as there was a bomb scare . From the website I learned I have to write to the Cardiff office and that liquidation notices are posted in the Edinburgh and Belfast Gazettes as well.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Thanks to Peter for the Companies House idea because that in turn led me to snoop4 who have scanned records from Companies House. First question to ask Companies House is the exact nature of their relationship with Snoop 4. Certainly the records don't appear complete and the ones of interest that are available cost 7 pounds a piece. Since at least one also appears to be the free one I found at London Gazette I'm certainly biding my time before getting out the credit card!!!

5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Here's the next installment.... Another source of company history I thought might be interesting is the information on bankruptcies etc. that started off as the Registry of County Court Judgments in 1852. It's also now in private hands, this time a not for profit has been set up to deal with scanned (archival) records from the Ministry of Justice. Registry Trust will take you to the page showing how it was set up. Much of what it deals with is modern but I will ask about the scope of the records.