1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Searching Electoral Register at FInd My Past

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Charlotte26, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Charlotte26

Charlotte26 LostCousins Member

I have attempted several searches of the old Electoral Registers now available at Find My Past and have also read the information about the records so realise that coverage varies according to year etc. I have only been able to find people that lived within a city and no one in a small town or rural area. Is there a particular technique to searching or a more detailed breakdown of the coverage by location ?
    Thanks

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I have been fortunate enough to have some good luck with Ancestry 's database of Electoral registers from the U.K. which has some search options. The FMP records are not so easy to search but there is this map of what records they have available. Since they are PDF files there are search options available within the individual pages via Adobe. The best tip FMP gives is this I think. "Many of the registers will have a street index or directory at the beginning of the document. You can either get to the beginning by continuously clicking the previous button on the PDF screen or you can start a new search for the constituency and year and then order the results by image number. By doing so, the top image would be the first page and you could then click through the images from the beginning."

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  3. Charlotte26

Charlotte26 LostCousins Member

The map has been immediately useful as I could zoom in and see large areas of my counties of interest are not included in the records

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

That's what I thought Charlotte and FMP ought to have made it clearer I think. Ancestry's weakness is not always getting the right page attached to your search but it's normally only one page forward or back. What I like with their collection is that I can put in a street as a keyword when all else seems to fail.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That may or may not be the case - the boundaries of the divisions aren't shown. For example, if you zoom in on west Essex, the heavily-populated area between Hackney and Romford has no markers at all, so you might assume there is no coverage. However there are entries for Ilford, Leyton, Forest Gate etc (they all come under Romford).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1