1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Seal and/or Deal in Kent

Discussion in 'Kent' started by Rainfordlass1AA, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Rainfordlass1AA

Rainfordlass1AA LostCousins Member

I have become confused now after finding both Seal and Deal in Kent. o_O Whoever thought of naming two so similar!

My paternal Allen ancestors originated apparently from Deal in Kent but some handwriting and comments for similar named ancestors from certain records appear to say Seal in Kent but I'm more drawn towards Deal due to the Forces link.

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

The names just probably evolved through usage. I don't think that there was a Geographical Names Board in those days:D.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Rainfordlass1AA

Rainfordlass1AA LostCousins Member

Thanks Margery. Looking at the map Seal is inland Kent and Deal is coastal Kent. Some old script transcribed has resulted in Seal being recorded but I now know Sholden and other named areas are within the Deal section of Kent. And as I mentioned before my ancestors and living family were forces linked hence the Deal option. However, I'm not so blinkered as to not look at Seal.. You never know. Thanks again.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I don't know if you have ever stumbled upon this site about Deal obviously put together by somebody who has spent a great deal of time researching the area although it may be about earlier years than those you are interested in. As I have ancestors who worked for Trinity House although not in this area I enjoyed the accounts about the treacherous Goodwin Sands.